Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


I wanted to thank those who gave us some advice on my earlier post and to say that our Walls look great.

It is work and a dusty job but we feel it makes the Paint Job look good.

Now we used a ready mix drywall compound and a second coat was used in specific spots and a couple walls only.

We need to Prime now so what brand would you recommend. Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?

This is a great DIY Forum

chisels1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,798
Rewards Points: 2,102
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?



YES

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by chisels1 View Post
I wanted to thank those who gave us some advice on my earlier post and to say that our Walls look great.

It is work and a dusty job but we feel it makes the Paint Job look good.

Now we used a ready mix drywall compound and a second coat was used in specific spots and a couple walls only.

We need to Prime now so what brand would you recommend. Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?

This is a great DIY Forum

any good quality PVA primer will do.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Member
 
Matthewt1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,797
Rewards Points: 1,034
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


PVA is an evil product that should be taken off the market. Every time I have used it it looks like nothing was even put on the walls and your first coat of paint will still soak into the drywall like nothing was even on there. Benjamin Moore fresh start, Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer, or Zinsser 123 is what I would go with.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 988
Rewards Points: 514
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
PVA is an evil product that should be taken off the market. Every time I have used it it looks like nothing was even put on the walls and your first coat of paint will still soak into the drywall like nothing was even on there. Benjamin Moore fresh start, Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer, or Zinsser 123 is what I would go with.
I have to agree PVA primer is garbage. Usually on new drywall we use Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer or there Problock primer
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 163
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Funny, it's always worked for me. You can always overkill it and use a better primer.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 988
Rewards Points: 514
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerheart14 View Post
Funny, it's always worked for me. You can always overkill it and use a better primer.
Its not overkill if you want a nice uniform finish that will last a long time. Any quality paint job starts with quality prep work followed by quality materials. After you prime new drywall you should sand the walls with 120 grit drywall screen.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 505
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
Its not overkill if you want a nice uniform finish that will last a long time. Any quality paint job starts with quality prep work followed by quality materials. After you prime new drywall you should sand the walls with 120 grit drywall screen.
doesn't this kill the texture?
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Painting Company, NY
 
housepaintingny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 988
Rewards Points: 514
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update


Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
doesn't this kill the texture?
No, the metal sanding screen will cut any boogers and so forth off of the wall and give a smoother finish for your top coat to be applied to. You just give it a quick hand sandind with the screen on a sanding pole.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foundation Skim Coat kwikfishron Building & Construction 4 07-26-2010 06:37 PM
Can you put brown coat on if it's going to rain? Not Sure Building & Construction 3 03-23-2009 06:57 AM
Skim coat for damaged plaster walls slapdash Remodeling 4 10-14-2007 05:27 AM
Drywall taping and skim coats helpless handyman Painting 7 08-11-2006 09:09 PM
drywall nightmare DIYNovice General DIY Discussions 6 09-25-2005 08:20 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.