DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/primimg-over-drywall-skim-coat-update-83522/)

chisels1 10-10-2010 06:59 AM

Primimg over Drywall Skim Coat - Update
 
I wanted to thank those who gave us some advice on my earlier post and to say that our Walls look great.

It is work and a dusty job but we feel it makes the Paint Job look good.

Now we used a ready mix drywall compound and a second coat was used in specific spots and a couple walls only.

We need to Prime now so what brand would you recommend. Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?

This is a great DIY Forum

chrisn 10-10-2010 07:15 AM

Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?



YES

hammerheart14 10-10-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chisels1 (Post 514331)
I wanted to thank those who gave us some advice on my earlier post and to say that our Walls look great.

It is work and a dusty job but we feel it makes the Paint Job look good.

Now we used a ready mix drywall compound and a second coat was used in specific spots and a couple walls only.

We need to Prime now so what brand would you recommend. Ben Moore was suggested is that a good cover for Drywall Mud and also for older painted wood?

This is a great DIY Forum


any good quality PVA primer will do.

Matthewt1970 10-10-2010 10:57 PM

PVA is an evil product that should be taken off the market. Every time I have used it it looks like nothing was even put on the walls and your first coat of paint will still soak into the drywall like nothing was even on there. Benjamin Moore fresh start, Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer, or Zinsser 123 is what I would go with.

housepaintingny 10-11-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 (Post 514671)
PVA is an evil product that should be taken off the market. Every time I have used it it looks like nothing was even put on the walls and your first coat of paint will still soak into the drywall like nothing was even on there. Benjamin Moore fresh start, Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer, or Zinsser 123 is what I would go with.

I have to agree PVA primer is garbage. Usually on new drywall we use Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer or there Problock primer

hammerheart14 10-12-2010 04:11 AM

Funny, it's always worked for me. You can always overkill it and use a better primer.

housepaintingny 10-12-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerheart14 (Post 515384)
Funny, it's always worked for me. You can always overkill it and use a better primer.

Its not overkill if you want a nice uniform finish that will last a long time. Any quality paint job starts with quality prep work followed by quality materials. After you prime new drywall you should sand the walls with 120 grit drywall screen.

racebum 10-12-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by housepaintingny (Post 515523)
Its not overkill if you want a nice uniform finish that will last a long time. Any quality paint job starts with quality prep work followed by quality materials. After you prime new drywall you should sand the walls with 120 grit drywall screen.

doesn't this kill the texture?

housepaintingny 10-12-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racebum (Post 515647)
doesn't this kill the texture?

No, the metal sanding screen will cut any boogers and so forth off of the wall and give a smoother finish for your top coat to be applied to. You just give it a quick hand sandind with the screen on a sanding pole.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved