Primers - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Primers

Why is it important to apply a primer to painting?

In what applications is the use of primer necessary?

What type of primer can be used to cover oil-based paint?

Is there a primer that will hide smoke stains on my living room wall?

What type of primer should I use on my new drywall?

Advertisement

shellie.elyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie.elyse
There are times it's needed for adhesion, sealing, and/or color changes
Quote:
Quote:
Too many to go into here, but basically never painted things and problem things
A solvent-based primer like alkyd (oil) or alcohol (shellac)
Quote:
And alkyd (oil) or shellac-based stain blocker
Quote:
A quality acrylic (latex)

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Primers

In what applications is the use of primer necessary? Any place where you have bare wood, raw drywall, staining or any place where adhesion may be an issue.

What type of primer can be used to cover oil-based paint? I would always use an oil based primer. From there you can topcoat with either Latex or Oil.

Is there a primer that will hide smoke stains on my living room wall? If it is actual smoke damage from a fire then you would need Bin or Kilz. If it is just stains from a smoker living there than it depends on how bad it is.

What type of primer should I use on my new drywall? Latex primer is fine. I perfer Kils2 but wouldn't put it on any bare wood.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Primers

Quote:
Primers contain a binder that generally has better adhesive qualities than the binders used in paints. That's because the primer's job is mostly to both stick like glue to the substrate and provide an easy-to-stick-to surface for the top coat.

Quote:
Generally, you only use a primer when you are painting over a BARE substrate, like bare wood, bare plaster, bare drywall, bare metal. You paint over paint. There are cases where it may be advantageous to apply a coat of primer over a coat of paint, such as using an oil based primer over an oil based paint before top-coating with a latex paint, or to get a head start in changing the colour of a wall by using a tinted primer, but the general rule is that you prime over a bare substrate and paint over paint.

Quote:
If it wuz me, I would use an oil based primer to cover an oil based paint. And if I wanted to do the best job I could, and it was a semi-gloss or gloss oil based paint, I would dull the gloss of the paint before priming just to be certain it stuck well. That would involve either cleaning with TSP and/or a green Scotchbrite scouring pad.

Quote:
Yes, I think ANY oil based or shellac based primer would do that job, but you can also clean the smoke staining off the wall. You can remove much of the smoke staining simply by cleaning the wall since nicotine and tar are soluble in water. Just doing that will remove about half of the discolouration. Now, dilute bleach with 10 parts water and then clean the wall with that dilute bleach solution. The bleach will penetrate into the porous paint and break up the molecules that cause "smoke stains" and that smoke smell. The fragments of those molecules won't absorb certain light frequencies like the whole molecules did, nor will the fragments react with the olafactory glands in your nose the way the whole molecules did. The result is that you won't be able to see or smell the "smoke staining" any more because the molecules that caused that colour and smell are broken into pieces inside the paint.

Not more than a year ago, I had the two worst chain smokers in the world move out of my building. When they vacated, not only could you see by the smoke staining where pictures were hung on walls, you could see where furniture was located on the floors, including carpeted floors. The advice I got from my local paint store was to use an oil based primer over the whole mess, and I consider that to be lousy advice. In my opinion, the smoke staining was so bad that it would have prevented proper adhesion of the paint to the wall. So, I cleaned the walls with a sponge mop and clean water first to remove about half the staining. Then I went over those walls and ceilings again with a 10:1 diluted bleach solution, allowed time to dry, and repainted. That suite is now rented to two non-smokers, and neither one even suspects that the previous tenants were smokers.

Quote:
Typically, they recommend a "PVA" primer for drywall. "PVA" means "polyvinyl acetate" and it's the plastic used to make both white wood glue and inexpensive latex paints and general purpose latex primers. So, any general purpose latex primer should fit the bill.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote