Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

primered, do i sand???

new addition and new drywall, my father wanted to help and primered it with this kilz primer/sealer http://www.masterchem.com/masterchem...006b0910acRCRD

, it doesnt look bad but it was 100 for 5 gal, but hey i didn't pay. so my question..i'm using s/w brillience ceiling paint and i'm not sure what on the walls yet, but do i sand the walls and ceilings prior to applying paint?, if so what grit of sandpaper?

thanks
chip

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

primered, do i sand???

I like sanding new drywall after its primed with poile sanders and 120 grit drywall screen. This will give you a smoother surface.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #3

primered, do i sand???

You should sand between every coat. With a pole sander it really doesn't take that long and the results are WELL worth the effort.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #4

primered, do i sand???

What your looking for by sanding is paint runs, loose drywall tape, screw or nail pops, humps from lack of sanding over screws, best to fix them before the paint.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
ltd

primered, do i sand???

personally i don't see the point. if walls are preped and all the dust removed ,and you're using fresh clean primer or paint and applying it as a skilled painter or a skilled dyer i see no need . now will i take a light to walls on an angle and check for any funk,yea but to say i'm going to sand the walls i see no need ,

Last edited by ltd; 12-25-2011 at 02:33 PM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (12-25-2011)
Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #6

primered, do i sand???

Ltd, I sand the walls on most occasions, but, I admit, on some jobs I DO NOT SAND. With fussy customers I almost always sand, especially primered new drywall. If you rub the walls with your hand you feel that rough, sandpaper-like finish. I like to at least sand that down so it is smooth.......most drywall primers sand fairly easily. Also, by sanding, you find areas that may need some attention such as nail pops, runs, boogers, etc. Addressing those issues makes for a better paint job and a happy customer. On repaints I usually make a quick swipe with the circular pole sander just to level high spots, etc. I guess I said all of that to say, sometimes I sand, sometimes I don't.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (12-26-2011), ltd (12-25-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

primered, do i sand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Ltd, I sand the walls on most occasions, but, I admit, on some jobs I DO NOT SAND. With fussy customers I almost always sand, especially primered new drywall. If you rub the walls with your hand you feel that rough, sandpaper-like finish. I like to at least sand that down so it is smooth.......most drywall primers sand fairly easily. Also, by sanding, you find areas that may need some attention such as nail pops, runs, boogers, etc. Addressing those issues makes for a better paint job and a happy customer. On repaints I usually make a quick swipe with the circular pole sander just to level high spots, etc. I guess I said all of that to say, sometimes I sand, sometimes I don't.
being a painter, you know this is NOT a word

fixed it

Last edited by chrisn; 12-26-2011 at 03:57 PM.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #8

primered, do i sand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
beind a painter, you know this is NOT a word
Being an english speaker, you know that's NOT a word
It's a Karma thingy.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 AM   #9

primered, do i sand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Gymschu, on most jobs I hand sand all flat walls with 80 weight, lighter with sheens. Sometimes even the ceiling. I'm sanding with the right hand and feeling with the left. One hand works and the other tests the result. As I'm sanding I'm finding nail pops and other defects that need spackle, and I mark them with a pencil with markings that tell me what they are and I know how to treat them. It creates a roadmap for where I need to apply tape and where to spackle. Nail pops get circled and the pencil marking helps me find them easier on the second and third coats. It's a bit of time upfront, but it saves a lot time when spackling and I rarely have any, almost no, between coat touch up spackle work. A nail pop between coats will delay the job completion more than my system. And as you say, sanded walls give a much nicer looking final finish. People don't stand for debris in their auto finish, why would they on their walls?

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-26-2011)