Primer For Wood Paneling HELP! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

primer for wood paneling HELP!

I bought a house and in the living room was terrible textured wallpaper. I spent the last two days tearing it off to find ugly wood paneling underneath. It had a lot of nicks and chucks of wallpaper glue stuck to it so I gave it a quick sand to smooth everything out. So the varnish on the paneling is pretty much gone. Now it's time to start painting and I'm concerned about what primer to use. Someone at work told me that some primers will cause wood oils to leak through the paint... I don't know if that's true , but I'm still very worried. I have to start painting in the next two days. I just bought cheap "colorplace" primer from Walmart. I have no idea if it's water based or oil based... I don't have it in front of me right now. But if someone would PLEASE tell me how to paint these walls without screwing it up! I am in way over my head on this home project. I guess it's not good to buy a fixer-upper for your first house.

Advertisement

Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't use that primer!

Get thee to a Paint Store and ask for Zinsser's Cover Stain
It's an oil-based primer, but it's the best thing for your particular application

Be sure to get a decent yet not to nice brush and roller sleeve to use then throw away, as you probably won't want to clean the oil primer out of them

Be sure to wipe off all the sanding dust before priming

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

People paper over paneling becaue it just doesn't take paint like a smooth wall.

You might want to consider using smooth paintable wallpaper.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Paint Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

Painting Paneling can be a difficult project in the fact that you WILL need to prime it and that can be messy. The stain that usually is on the edges of each panel will bleed through paint and alot of primers. In the 10 years of painting I have painted dozens of paneled rooms.

What you need to use is B.I.N. primer http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10. This can be tinted towards the color you will be using too. You will need to protect your floor with a poly carpet cover and drop cloths. Also, you will need to use a brush to get it in the crevices where the molding is and cut in, use a 1/2 nap roller for the remaining parts.

Once primed and dry you may caulk or use spackle then paint it as you normally would. Following this procedure will provide a professional finish that will last and not bleed. The paneling before starting should also get a slight sanding with 120 grit to scratch the surface for better bonding with the primer. Use a pole and a sandpaper holder.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-27-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Site Rules
movado is offline   Reply With Quote