||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Display Modes|
|02-20-2010, 06:29 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2010
Primer for vinyl covered wallboard
I live in a mobile home, and some of the walls are paper covered wall board, some of them are vinyl covered. It's not possible to remove the coverings before painting.
I successfully (so far) painted one of the bathrooms, which had been painted or primed (one thin coat) by a previous owner. The paint or primer that was on the wall had held up well, but you could still see the pattern through the coat. I simply primed over it with Kilz2 and painted with a Valspar latex enamel paint. I chose, bought and painted before I found this forum.
Since I have found the forum, I've headed off to my local Sherwin Williams store for the cabinet/trim paint and will continue to purchase their paints for the rest of the house.
The last time that I went in, I asked the SW employee about the best primer to use on mobile home walls and he sold me a low VOC multi-purpose oil based primer.
It was only after I got home that I remembered that oil based is supposed to be a bit more difficult to work with (spills, etc). I'm new to painting so I'm not sure what (if anything) I need to know about the oil based primer.
1) Is oil based primer the best thing for priming my walls, which are either paper covered or vinyl covered? Would a bonding primer be better?
2) If the oil based is best, what do I need to make sure to get before I start priming?
3) Do I use my regular brushes/rollers that I will then use for painting or should I buy primer specific items?
4) Do I need to buy anything for cleaning up spills?
5) Will there be a specific type paint I will need to use over the oil based primer, or just trust my SW guy to steer me in the right direction?
I appreciate all your help! I have learned quite a bit from this forum, but I haven't really seen these specific questions asked.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Free 5 gl of Behr Primer: Why Shouldn't I use it?||Lovegasoline||Painting||18||10-12-2013 07:47 AM|
|Zinsser Bathroom Paint||canuckjack||Painting||7||08-27-2012 08:00 AM|
|help me pick a primer||jheavner||Painting||21||01-26-2009 11:30 PM|
|prepping old wood for painting newb questions||afabco||Painting||19||08-07-2008 11:19 AM|
|Can oil based primer (zinsser) be covered with acrylic paint?||tigerbalm2424||Painting||3||07-10-2008 08:48 PM|