Primer Type Over Drywall That Previously Had Wallpaper - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Primer Type Over Drywall That Previously Had Wallpaper

Redoing a bathroom. Stripped the wallpaper and cleaned/sanded all walls for glue residue. The walls feel smooth.

Removed ceramic fixtures and patched holes using USG Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound.

Will most likely use Behr Premium Plus Satin Enamel paint based on Consumer Report feedback.

What type (and brand) of primer is best over the wallboard given it had wallpaper on it before?

Thanks.

Advertisement

jdbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdbs3 For This Useful Post:
Dan Jul (05-04-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbs3 View Post
Redoing a bathroom. Stripped the wallpaper and cleaned/sanded all walls for glue residue. The walls feel smooth.

Removed ceramic fixtures and patched holes using USG Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound.

Will most likely use Behr Premium Plus Satin Enamel paint based on Consumer Report feedback.

What type (and brand) of primer is best over the wallboard given it had wallpaper on it before?

Thanks.
Gardz for primer and ANY paint not from Lowes or Home Depot
Don't believe everything you read in CR
Attached Images

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (04-13-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #3

RE: ANY paint not from Lowes or Home Depot

What brands do you recommend/prefer?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I tend to like Benjamin Moore best but would use Sherwin Williams without worrying or complaining. Paint store Pittsburgh is alright---Menard's Pittsburgh is not. The important thing is not to get paint store and not box store paint even if it costs you a bit more. You are doing the prep and priming correctly, especially if you use Gardz. Don't blow it using BEHRly paint.

And if you want a good laugh someday, go to the Consumer Reports website and search for BEHR. They get blasted for their recommendation in "What were you thinking?" form for BEHR. It slipped down their list this year anyhow. Their test of paints is absurd to start. Paint it on. Scrub it off. If it is cheap, that trumps either application or durability. There is a lot more to a quality paint then that.

By the way, check your newspaper or online for paint store brand coupons. Both Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams (and others I suspect) should be running their spring sales about now!

Last edited by user1007; 03-28-2012 at 01:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-28-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
The important thing is not to get paint store and not box store paint
I think the 1st 'not' is a typo.

Ok, I'll go with Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

Thanks all for the feedback!

One related question. I also had problems with the "sand textured" paint peeling over the tub area. It appears the ceiling wallboard was not primed prior to painting. I scraped off all the peeling paint, sanded the edges of these areas, and used the USG Sheetrock All Purpose Joint Compound to cover the wallboard screws and to further feather the scraped part with the part of the ceiling still with paint.

I'll use the Gardz on this part of the ceiling also.

Is there any special type of paint I should get for the ceiling, or again just a "sand texture" version of Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams paints?

Thanks again. I hope to get this done over the next week.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

BM and SW don't have a sand texture paint - but they do carry sand additive that you can put in any paint.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
BM and SW don't have a sand texture paint - but they do carry sand additive that you can put in any paint.
Sherwin Williams does carry a sand textured paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

I stand corrected! thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM   #9

I purchased the Gardz yesterday; found it for a good price locally.

As noted, wall fixture holes were covered with a drywall patch and joint compound, and sanded.

Before using the Gardz, for surface preparation what do folks use to clean off any sanding dust still on the walls?

thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Before using the Gardz, for surface preparation what do folks use to clean off any sanding dust still on the walls?

thanks
I like really large, car wash type sponges. As an art student I would only use natural sponges but the synthetic ones are sooooo much cheaper. And you are just chasing drywall dust. Although, I find large sponges great for "wet sanding" drywall compound.

Keep them adequately damp to sort of soggy, not soaking wet and dripping, and rinse them out often as you go. Dry them out as best you can and toss them if they start to give off odor or show signs of mold.

Obviously auto parts stores have them but believe it or not, nice ones tend to show up for chimp change at liquidators like BIG LOTS if you have one near. Dollar type stores sometimes have large sponges too.

Last edited by user1007; 03-31-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:

Thanks.
Please don't.

Go to the Consumer Reports site and type in BEHR. Most postings are awful because the stuff is crap. And dig and look at the test criteria. It is rated as best mainly for price point. And actually Benjamin Moore products top the CR paint list this year which is why HD had pulled all the bragging advertising from the BEHRly paint line. Here they pump there other line, Glidden now. It used to be ok for cheap paint. I would probably still try it over BEHR or Valspar.

You know I just lied. I buy paint in a paint store and real stuff. People on this site, like me, that painted for a living and would never use BEHR and really do know how materials perform. I've used boxstore paint when it was donated but would never buy any. And the argument that the DIYer doesn't care about paint application, coverage and all is nonsense. Time is time whether a pro or doing a weekend project. Why use crap when nice paint is availed? Two Starbuck's Lattes with Whipped Cream and a straw difference in price?

Major paint stores should be running spring sales about now which brings real, high end, paint into the price point of BEHRly paint. Check online for coupons if not in your paper.

I am not quite there yet but would almost offer you my discount on paint to keep you away from stuff nasty. Hunt down, sew or even hug a real bear. Never trust the logo for paint.

Last edited by user1007; 03-31-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #12

Thanks for all the feedback. We buy the paint tomorrow.

After talking with my local Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore stores, I will go with Benjamin Moore and the recommendations of the Benjamin Moore store person. Specifically:

- Gardz Problem Surface Sealer on all walls and ceiling (from forum feedback).
- Benjamin Moore Ben for the walls. A bit less expensive than Regal, but from what I've read in comparing the two, it should meet our needs.
- Zinsser egg shell on the fixed ceiling mixed with a sand additive to match the sanded finish on the rest of the ceiling. Then the same without sand to go over the entire ceiling for color match.
- Zinsser semi gloss on the old vanity base.
- Sand rust spots on metal baseboard and prime with Rust-Oleum Rusty metal Primer.
- Zinsser semi gloss on the baseboard - HOPE this will be ok over the primer on metal.

Again, thanks for the very helpful feedback.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Zinnser paint??
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Zinnser paint??
Zinnser, now owned buy Rustoleum, did not make paint last time I looked. Just some of the best primers.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Perma-white..

Advertisement