DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Primer / Sealer question for new drywall (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/primer-sealer-question-new-drywall-191107/)

tommyxv 11-27-2013 04:18 PM

Primer / Sealer question for new drywall
 
Getting ready to paint in my basement soon. We used 1/2" mold resistant purple board through out. (some green board under the stairs too)

I am getting mixed opinions on what I should start out with... a drywall sealer or just a primer. Any help is appreciated.

oh'mike 11-27-2013 04:33 PM

I moved this to 'painting' for you---

I'll leave this for a painter to answer---I believe I would use a good primer rather than PVA---but listen to the painters----Mike----

tommyxv 11-27-2013 04:46 PM

Sry about that. Thanks.

joecaption 11-27-2013 05:34 PM

Zinsser 123 is all you'll need.
Looks like you still have a lot of sanding to do. Once you prime you'll see it. Fix and prime again before moving on to painting two coats.
(Screw patches are not hazy enough, tape lines are not mudded out wide enough.)
If you can feel it with your hand it's going to show.
Could have saved a whole lot of money skipping the green and purple board. It's only moisture resistant on the front side not the back side.

747 11-27-2013 05:52 PM

yep bulleyes 123 primer sealer

tommyxv 11-27-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1272313)
Zinsser 123 is all you'll need.
Looks like you still have a lot of sanding to do. Once you prime you'll see it. Fix and prime again before moving on to painting two coats.
(Screw patches are not hazy enough, tape lines are not mudded out wide enough.)
If you can feel it with your hand it's going to show.
Could have saved a whole lot of money skipping the green and purple board. It's only moisture resistant on the front side not the back side.

Thanks for the info. That pic is not the finished drywall. (I noted that under the pic). I just didn't have a more recent photo yet. All the joints are feather out properly and sanded now.

I will check out that stuff. Latex based?? Thanks

oh'mike 11-27-2013 06:28 PM

Yes,latex based----good stuff---have it shaken when you buy it---or be sure to stir well before use.

tommyxv 11-27-2013 06:58 PM

Thanks again.

princelake 11-27-2013 09:07 PM

ya any of that green board, blue board, purple board,etc. is a joke. i've pulled out lots of board with mold on it after floods. not worth the extra money.
Different companies make new drywall primer.

chrisn 11-28-2013 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Although 123 will work just fine, this MIGHT save you some $$

ToolSeeker 11-28-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princelake (Post 1272397)
ya any of that green board, blue board, purple board,etc. is a joke. i've pulled out lots of board with mold on it after floods. not worth the extra money.
Different companies make new drywall primer.

That board is not WATERPROOF it is only moisture resistant. That is why it is approved for moist areas but not wet areas. You can use it in bathrooms but not in showers.

tommyxv 11-28-2013 08:35 AM

I bought it because I like purple and green. :)

For real though, it was on sale and cheaper than regular rock at the time, plus I had some discounts applied. I bought 80 sheets of 1/2" on the first order at a $9.80 a sheet. The bottom side of the soffit we used 1/4" to save a little bit more of head room. :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 1272474)
Although 123 will work just fine, this MIGHT save you some $$

Thanks, Ill check that out too.

joecaption 11-28-2013 08:42 AM

That was a mistake. Should have been at a minimum 1/2 light weight or your going to get sagging and screw pops.

Gymschu 11-28-2013 09:16 AM

That's gonna be nice when it is completed.

tommyxv 11-28-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 1272518)
That was a mistake. Should have been at a minimum 1/2 light weight or your going to get sagging and screw pops.

I do not think it will sag. There is a center support. Everything is screwed and glued with PL 400. The butt joint has a nailer also. (not pictured)

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/img/basement/soffit.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved