Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which Is My Best Choice?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which Is My Best Choice?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Primer / Sealer For New Drywall...Which Of My 3 Choices Is Best?

Hi There,

So, just finished getting the taping and mudding done to my new drywall, now it's time to primer / seal the new drywall.

After about a weeks worth of reading on how to and the best brands out there (since everyone agrees not to cheap out at this stage), I have been able to finalize it down to 3 brands of primer or primer/sealer:

ProMar 200 Primer - Sherwin Williams
Insl-x Aqua Lock - Sold at Benjamin Moore
Zinsser GARDZ® Problem Surface Sealer or 123 - Have not been able to track down either yet in Canada

I have seen a few other recommendations for all of the companies listed above e..g Fresh Start by BM etc…but those don't exist in Canada from what I can tell, I need something I would be able to purchase locally (Montreal)

Based on the above 3 choices, I am looking for votes as to which one would be my best option as a high quality product to cover new drywall.
Lastly, the Aqua Lock is a Primer/Sealer whereas the Promar 200 seems to be Primer only…is there a difference or a problem with that?

As always, thanks for the great advice, I have come a long way since visiting this forum, was able to rebuild an entire room from scratch!!
Finally down to my last step!!

Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

I think all those primers are too expensive and overkill to seal drywall. Just get a standard PVA primer designed to seal drywall and mud Save the money for the finish paints, although those primers are better products for certain scenarios, PVA is especially formulated to wet and seal new drywall and you can pick it up from $60 to $80 a 5er.

conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

Good luck trying to use a cheap primer.
The only hope that paint has to stay stuck to the wall is by bonding to that primer.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

PVA stands for polyvinyl acetate, the resin system used in the primer. PVA drywall primer was designed for new drywall. This type of primer wets the surface of the wall very well and seals the surface too (probably not as well as a universal acrylic stain blocker—however, it wets the surface of the wall better and is easier to re-coat).

More $ is not always better. Even the best PVA is not that expensive simply because of the materials needed to the job its designed to do. Never had an interior paint job fail and never used $40 a gallon primer on new drywall either.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspikuous View Post
PVA stands for polyvinyl acetate, the resin system used in the primer. PVA drywall primer was designed for new drywall. This type of primer wets the surface of the wall very well and seals the surface too (probably not as well as a universal acrylic stain blocker—however, it wets the surface of the wall better and is easier to re-coat).

More $ is not always better. Even the best PVA is not that expensive simply because of the materials needed to the job its designed to do. Never had an interior paint job fail and never used $40 a gallon primer on new drywall either.
Would you be able to suggest a few alternate options / brands? What primers have PVA in them that would be better substitutes for the options I suggested? Do you know if the 3 I listed have PVA in them? From what I gather like you said, the options I put down are over kill....so, they are perfect for what I want to do right?, they are just more money than I need to really spend. I just want to make sure if I buy any off those 3 that at least I am looking at the right products.

Last edited by Dreams; 02-07-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #6

I'll do some research on those products but as far as I'm concerned if it has a big PVA on the label, its good enough for new drywall.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

KILZ PRO-X 5-Gal. PVA Primer 44 bucks at home slepo

Out of your three product choices I would say the Promar 200 is your best for new drywall but I am still convinced it is overkill and not necassary.

If you were dealing with an older ceiling, some grime, some stains or something I would go with something with different properties but we are talking new drywall.

Last edited by conspikuous; 02-07-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #8

Drywall is new on all 4 walls except for the ceiling and closet area, so I will be painting over non new drywall a little, not much but it's still a ceiling and closet. The ceiling is not so bad but the closet has some stains, looks like black smudges from previous owners kids.
With that being said, and sorry for leaving that part out, is something like the Promar 200 more along the lines of what I need to do 75% new drywall and 25% existing paint?

I prefer overkill sometimes, I don't mind the extra few dollars providing it's not double or something closet it. I will try to see if the products I listed also have PVA if possible.

Last edited by Dreams; 02-07-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

I was looking at sherwin williams product lines. I could not see where this promar had PVA but I also cannot find a PVA from sherwin williams. This promar will work, and will also work for your old stuff too.

Straight PVA is basically worthless over previously painted surfaces.

As far as any stains go, I never have a spray can of killz original too far away from a job. Any stains that show through the primer coat get a little shot of oil to cover em.

One job looked like everything was gonna go in one coat. After I applied the coat, 100's of little smiley faces and stick figures appeared out of nowhere lol, what a wreck that was.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

PVA I think was a ok choice 15 years ago. There are so many better choices now.
And much depends on what the top coats are going to be.
Surprisingly- one outstanding drywall sealer if topping with egg or better is Gardz. Amazing holdout. And can be mixed a bit with most top coats for a little color.
And good for mixed surfaces- which pva is not.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspikuous View Post

PVA primer is garbage and that is why a reputable, experienced painting contractor will not use it as theyknow its garbage. Even though it saves money its not worth using. I've applied 1000s of gallons of SW Promar primer and that would be my choice.
Primer also promotes uniform color of the paint and proper adhesion of the paint other than sealing the drywall. I would not even accept a project if pva primer was supplied to me.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

Im a reputable experienced painting contractor and I'm about to use PVA on my own new drywall in my kitchen.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #13

So, to confirm then, the SW Promar 200 Primer will be a good choice to use on both my new drywall and existing paint? I would like to be able to use the same paint for the whole room regardless if it's over new drywall or old latex.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post
So, to confirm then, the SW Promar 200 Primer will be a good choice to use on both my new drywall and existing paint? I would like to be able to use the same paint for the whole room regardless if it's over new drywall or old latex.
Yes, SW Promar primer can be used on new drywall and previously painted surfaces. After you prime the new drywall you should sand the walls with a pole sander. I like using 120 drywall screen for this. You just want to do a quick sanding and this will leave you with a smoother finish after you paint. It will only take a couple of minutes per wall to sand with a pole sander.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM   #15

I'm on the retail end of things here...

I don't even LIKE selling PVA-class primers to people!!!

I use 123 or C2-One primer on new rock.
Even GARDZ is a great choice!
As House & Brush said, these kinda primers have MUCH better "Holdout".
If you primed half a wall with a PVA primer, and the other half with GARDZ or "123-class" primer, and then painted-

I GUARANTEE you'd see the difference.
Simple as that (and I'm not saying this lightly).

Faron

Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faron79 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (02-08-2012)