DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Primer peeled

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  joeyboy 
#1 ·
We primed our bathroom walls with Bin and painted after waiting a few days, without using the bathroom to be sure the primer was dry. We painted the bathroom and a few weeks later the whole bathroom peeled, primer included. I understand the reasons why paint usually peels, but nobody can give me a reason why the primer peeled. I don't want it to happen again. Why would the primer peel? What can we do to prevent this from happening again?

#2 ·
Moisture, Mildew on the walls is about the only thing I can think of that would make that primer peel like that unless you got a bad batch of primer. I assume you washed and well rinsed the walls before you started. It would not hurt to take the leftover in to where you got it and get it tested.
So just how bad has it peeled. A picture would be nice so we can see how extensive the peeling is.

#4 ·
Bathrooms are the harshest environment in your house and need special care and prep when painting

The list of possible reasons for primer failure in a bathroom repaint is reasonably long, but most have to do with improper prep

There's the normal reasons for failure...
Not cleaning the wall
Using the wrong type cleaner for the wall
Not sanding
Not cleaning the dust from sanding
Etc...

But the walls in the bath take extraordinary abuse and are almost always contaminated with over use of Glade-type air 'fresheners' and hair spray and other products that completely contaminate the walls, in addition to the excessive moisture and leaks found in that room

There are also incredibly crappy 'primers' out there, so it could be a product problem (for example any latex Kilz products, or the Behr "primers")

Nobody can tell you what made this project peel w/o more information
Being more specific as to the exact steps and products used may help us pinpoint the problem

#6 ·
Which Bin product did you use? Coverstain, 123 Blue Label acrylic, White pigmented shellac? It makes a huge difference.

Blue LAbel 123 sticks to everything even unsanded paint (though it's always better to sand first)- if that's what you used the only reason for failure is moisture in the walls that hadn't dried out prior to priming or greasy or dirty walls.

What was condition of walls prior to painting?

Thanks,
Bay Area Painting Contractor

G
#7 ·
BIN is a specific product. If you really used the shellac based primer then there has to be some serious contamination issues. Shellac usually sticks to just about anything but it can fail if there is a residue keeping it from adhering to the wall itself.

#8 ·
Ah...sorry...didn't see the BIN (assuming the white pigmented shellac product)
Doesn't make too much difference though
Still most likely a contamination/prep problem

Even when priming with BIN, the wall still needs to be cleaned
Can't use TSP with BIN, must use Ammonia
And before you even get to that point, any chemical residue (as I mentioned before) still needs to be cleaned off, and often ammonia won't do it
Depending on what it is, it could be some other solvent that is needed
(then cleaned with ammonia product)

Then it still should be scuff sanded, and then the dust from sanding wiped off
Dust will peel BIN just like it'll peel anything else

Other that that/those, BIN should have worked

#10 ·
Primer Peeled

I could not upload the pictures of the primer and paint peeling from the walls and ceiling. The ceiling only had primer we didn't get the chance to paint it. We did sand and clean the walls before priming, but we did not clean with amonia. I believe we used cheese cloth to clean the walls and ceiling. We have since sanded most the walls which has turned into a lengthy project in itself. I will continue to try and upload the pictures as they might help uncover some of the mystery. What are the necessary steps for priming and painting a bathroom? I want to make sure we don't repeat the same mistake.

#11 ·
I could not upload the pictures of the primer and paint peeling from the walls and ceiling. The ceiling only had primer we didn't get the chance to paint it. We did sand and clean the walls before priming, but we did not clean with amonia. I believe we used cheese cloth to clean the walls and ceiling. We have since sanded most the walls which has turned into a lengthy project in itself. I will continue to try and upload the pictures as they might help uncover some of the mystery. What are the necessary steps for priming and painting a bathroom? I want to make sure we don't repeat the same mistake.
yeah I need to know too, I'm gonna tag along in this thread lol. Need to sand/prime/paint mine up soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.