Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #1

Share |

primer and paint questions

Well, I'm back. I see my post from two years ago about drywall mud and primer is still up, but I'm happy to say I've mastered the drywall side of things at this point.

So, today I put on my first coat of primer. Painting/priming is something I'm still trying to get better at. I just have a few questions.

1.I can still see the mud behind the primer. I'm assuming that's ok, but also the paper feels rough while the mud feels smooth. I'm guessing that means the primer didn't give me a uniform cover. Is it normal? I bought the one at Sherwin Williams simply labeled Drywall Primer. Anyway, I was thinking of putting on a second coat of primer, but I know others on this site have warned not to do that.

2. I have a couple of spots in the primer where tiny craters appeared in my mud during sanding (on a couple of the butt joints) and, since they were so tiny, I went ahead and put primer over them. But they still came through. I was wondering I should put some mud/spackle on that before applying the first paint coat, or maybe mud, then spot prime, then go on to the paint coat.

3. I got a few burrs and hardened drops of primer on the wall. What should I do to remove those? I know I should have gotten the primer while it was wet, but really didn't see them.

4. Should I be sanding between primer and paint, or between paint coats? If so, what grit?

5. I'm using a flat white on the ceiling and a satin yellowish color on the walls. How many coats should I do of each?

All in all, this project is going really well so far. On the job from my post two years ago, I ended up calling a pro to help me fix the terrible taping and finishing work I did. Those butt joints were almost stalactites. It looks really good this time.

Pics from before and after primer attached for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
primer and paint questions-20131123_120221_resized.jpg   primer and paint questions-20131124_181716_resized.jpg  

wengang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #2

That is absolutely normal to feel unevenness between the mud and paper. Your next 2 coats of paint will even those out. Patch the craters and prime those as well. Then you are ready for paint and sanding between coats is always time well spent. 180 or 220 grit is what I like to use and that should take care of the burrs. Either get the better roller covers or wrapping them in painters tape will help keep them out of the paint.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
registered

Should have went with bulleyes 123 its thicker then the primer used.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #4

Mathew hit the nail on the head. The textural difference between mud and paper doesn't mean the primer didn't work properly. Just sand, sand, sand. Primer sands better than paint so sanding the primer smooth is most important. It's also not a bad idea to sand between finish coats a little.

The craters in the mud will not fill with paint. They need to be filled with mud then primed. Another full coat of primer won't hurt anything, its just generally overkill. If you have a lot of touch up patches, it might be easier to just prime it all again than spot prime numerous patches.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Sherwin Williams simply labeled Drywall Primer.

That will work just fine, keep patching and sanding till it is all smooth, prime any new patches and paint away
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-27-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

^^^^^agree with all above.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Actually, it all went very well! I have the first coat on the walls and ceiling (and I have to say the extra money for SW paint is worth it). One small problem now.

As I was painting the wall last night, a small lump came off the roller and was sitting on the wall. Thinking it was still pretty wet when I noticed it, I reached to wipe it off, but the wall was a lot drier than I had thought, and a quarter-sized piece of latex tore off the wall. That left a shallow crater in my first finish coat. I tried to dab wet paint in the crater to see if I could even it out, but it didn't really even out. What should I do for this? I'm pretty sure that if I just paint over it, it will show through the next coat.

Thanks for the help, all. The project is coming along beautifully!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #8

A pic would really help if it is deep enough that the roller won't cover it then you need to use a small amount of joint compound (sounds too big for spackle). Put just enough to fill the spot, let dry sand, I would use a wet sponge, in a circular motion when dry prime and paint. If you can use spackle it will dry quicker and be easier to sand.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

I put mud on it, sanded, primed, repainted. It cam out ok.
I am going to post a new thread on some problems with this same paint job.
Thanks for the help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wengang1 For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (12-01-2013), ToolSeeker (12-02-2013)