Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Share |

Primer and paint question

I have a concrete balcony with metal underlayment supported by steel beams. Parts of the paint have chipped off showing rust. What primer and paint should I use. There is latex paint over top of whatever primer they used (looks like a milk primer followed by a red metal primer).

I was thinking of priming the metal with rust converter then prime with an oil based cover stain then a latex paint???

r1racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #2

That would be one way to do it. Another way would be to prime the rust with a rust inhibitive primer like Rustolem Rusty Metal primer or Sherwin Williams Khem Kromic, and finish it with latex.

Both of those primers are good at stoping existing rust, just lightly sand the rusty spots to remove loose rust scale before priming. Or you can use a wire brush.

Both of these primers are solvent based, but will accept a latex top coat fine.

Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #3

Can I use the rustolem over the latex as well or only over the bare metal?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1racer
Can I use the rustolem over the latex as well or only over the bare metal?
There is no restrictions in the product specs for putting in over previously coated surfaces. Just the standard advice to sand (dull) glossy surfaces.

I guess you are thinking to prime the whole underside rather than just spot the rust.
As long as the surface is clean, and free of contaminates, I don't see that being a problem.

Doing a test area first to make sure would be a good idea, but I think it would be fine.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
There is no restrictions in the product specs for putting in over previously coated surfaces. Just the standard advice to sand (dull) glossy surfaces.

I guess you are thinking to prime the whole underside rather than just spot the rust.
As long as the surface is clean, and free of contaminates, I don't see that being a problem.

Doing a test area first to make sure would be a good idea, but I think it would be fine.
Yes. That's the plan. One final question. Would you use an oil, enamel or latex paint over the rustolem primer? Water may be an issue.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The paint film you leave with either an oilbased or waterbased paint is going to make little difference with waterproofing issues. If you have a leak, seapage or something you need to address that issue before you prime and paint.

I agree with Jmays in approach and a rust inhibiting primer like Rustoleum's would be a great choice. An inhibitor will not work over corrosion though. If there is more rust than you can grind, wire brush, sand or whatever than a rust conversion primer would be an excellent choice. It may not look as nice as just cleaning up the surface though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #7

Right...the plan is to caulk the areas causing leaks on the underside of balcony, orbit sand everything smooth, knock out the rust, prime and then paint. I am going to use rustolem paint over the primer. Thanks guys.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #8

I just saw in the box store the other day Zinsser has a new metal primer. Has anyone had any experience with it?

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote