Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Share |

The "primer in the paint" Phenomenon

First things first...read the fine print.
All of the major compaines are jumping on the Behr bandwagon and claiming primer and paint in one. THIS IS BOGUS...in hopes of saving you lots of time and lots of aggravation ...YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO USE PRIMER ON BARE DRYWALL!
Here's why. Drywall and joint compound( mud) have different porositylevels. Primer is intended to be absorbed and seal the surface to give you a sound surface to apply the paint to. Paint is not inteded to be absorded,but rather build a film thickness. If the paint is absorbed into the mud or joint compound you will see a distinct variation in the sheen between drywall and joint compound... This is called "flashing" and is not a good look.
So before you get sucked into what amounts to a fantastic marketing job on the behalf of the wonderful people at Home Depot make sure you read the fine print.

Iknowpaint81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

What if it's already painted?

christie5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

if the wall is already painted then 2 coats of paint is all you need, granted that the paint on the wall is not very very old. As time passes paint becomes porus and is not as sealed as it was when fresh. Rule of thumb if its been over 5 years since its been painted it doesn't hurt to throw a coat of primer on first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iknowpaint81 For This Useful Post:
christie5683 (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowpaint81 View Post
if the wall is already painted then 2 coats of paint is all you need, granted that the paint on the wall is not very very old. As time passes paint becomes porus and is not as sealed as it was when fresh. Rule of thumb if its been over 5 years since its been painted it doesn't hurt to throw a coat of primer on first.
Just bought this villa. The owners before me were only there just under 2 years and painted when they moved in so the paint is not more than 2 years old. I don't like the colors. I want to paint the walls light grey throughout. The LRm color is a butternut squash color and the dining room is a medium green.
Wasn't sure if primer paint would be sufficient with one coat.
The bathroom is light colored so I don't see a problem there except I'm reading all this about mildewcide paint. Never have used it and never have had a mold issue with any of the other homes I've owned in the bathrooms.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

On bare drywall you should use a primer/sealer before you paint. On painted walls, premium 100% acrylic paints are self priming. The 100% acrylic resin seals the surface as the paint dries. I have used paint and primers in one ( Behr and Glidden ) And both seemed to cover very well and was able to do one coat. All depends on the condition of the paint you are covering.
Hymie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie5683 View Post
Just bought this villa. The owners before me were only there just under 2 years and painted when they moved in so the paint is not more than 2 years old. I don't like the colors. I want to paint the walls light grey throughout. The LRm color is a butternut squash color and the dining room is a medium green.
Wasn't sure if primer paint would be sufficient with one coat.
The bathroom is light colored so I don't see a problem there except I'm reading all this about mildewcide paint. Never have used it and never have had a mold issue with any of the other homes I've owned in the bathrooms.

no
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

http://buildipedia.com/at-home/painting/paint-vs-primer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Bonzai (06-16-2012), jsheridan (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:45 AM   #8

Thanks for the feed back!!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie5683 View Post
Thanks for the feed back!!

That's why we are here ( well some of us)
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
That's why we are here ( well some of us)
I'm here to mock and meet chicks.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
mustangmike3789 (06-09-2012), Will22 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'm here to mock and meet chicks.
Figured you would be done prowling having caught a glimpse of the tanning bed women from New Jersey. Of course in the dark you might confuse her with a leather reclining chair.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (06-08-2012), mustangmike3789 (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Figured you would be done prowling having caught a glimpse of the tanning bed women from New Jersey. Of course in the dark you might confuse her with a leather reclining chair.

she is outright scary
just saw a pic of her before the "tanning", she was not bad looking at all
Old 06-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hymie View Post
On bare drywall you should use a primer/sealer before you paint. On painted walls, premium 100% acrylic paints are self priming. The 100% acrylic resin seals the surface as the paint dries. I have used paint and primers in one ( Behr and Glidden ) And both seemed to cover very well and was able to do one coat. All depends on the condition of the paint you are covering.
I've made this point, that it "works" before, and people thought I was endorsing the paint & primer in one, so I'm trying to be a little more clear now.

So, Yes they will seem to cover very well. But in a year or so you will realize it's not quite as good as you thought. If you're flipping houses or doing rentals, IMO it's OK to be cheap and quick. Just know that you are being cheap and quick; if you're looking for quality, it's not available at HD.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #14

In regards to doing it in one coat....no paint job is ever complete in one coat unless you are using a hi build coating( which are not common and usually only spray applied). Paint gets its durablity when the correct milage is applied. There is no way you can get the correct thickness of paint film in one coat and still make it look good. Someone said 100% acrylic earlier and that is correct( except for the self sealing part, that's not true) 100% acrylic is the best latex you can get....so save yourself some time and money down the road and just do two coats while you are already getting dirty and have the drop cloths out...you will thank yourself later
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowpaint81 View Post
First things first...read the fine print.
All of the major compaines are jumping on the Behr bandwagon and claiming primer and paint in one. THIS IS BOGUS...in hopes of saving you lots of time and lots of aggravation ...YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO USE PRIMER ON BARE DRYWALL!
Here's why. Drywall and joint compound( mud) have different porositylevels. Primer is intended to be absorbed and seal the surface to give you a sound surface to apply the paint to. Paint is not inteded to be absorded,but rather build a film thickness. If the paint is absorbed into the mud or joint compound you will see a distinct variation in the sheen between drywall and joint compound... This is called "flashing" and is not a good look.
So before you get sucked into what amounts to a fantastic marketing job on the behalf of the wonderful people at Home Depot make sure you read the fine print.
that stuff is made for pre painted hard to cover colors. Not new drywall.

All thumb's is offline   Reply With Quote