Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

Primer & paint

Ok we just had our living room, dining and kitchen taped and spackled and they did a great job. A few question that will help us

1. Is there a consensus among pros as to which paint brand is best?
2. Are living rooms most commonly done with flat? There is a lot of sunlight in the room if that matters.
3. What is the best primer to use that will prep for a great paint job.
4. Could me and my wife do the priming to save us some money? We will hire someone for the actual painting.
5. How long, once the spackle and tape is done, drya dn ready for paint can it sit without being painted. If it sits a week is that okay?

Any other tips/advice would be great as we really want thte paint job to come out very nice.

Thank you very much.

Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Primer & paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstrlucky74 View Post
Ok we just had our living room, dining and kitchen taped and spackled and they did a great job. A few question that will help us

1. Is there a consensus among pros as to which paint brand is best?
Use a quality paint- My personal pref is Bej Moore- and I use the Regal Select line- many good choices

2. Are living rooms most commonly done with flat? There is a lot of sunlight in the room if that matters.

Do you have dogs or children? Flat is a dirt sponge, a very low sheen will repel smudges better, but the higher the sheen the more imperfections show.
3. What is the best primer to use that will prep for a great paint job.

Primers are problem solvers- that is why there are so many. If all you have is to equalize porosity between already painted and mudded- many good choices. Also depends how much sheen in the finish paint.
All the major paint co have good ones- for the most part Kilz is not a preferred on- Zinsser makes great primers.

4. Could me and my wife do the priming to save us some money? We will hire someone for the actual painting.

Every step is important that it be done well. As a pro I would not like the homeowner to prime.

5. How long, once the spackle and tape is done, drya dn ready for paint can it sit without being painted. If it sits a week is that okay?

No problem

Any other tips/advice would be great as we really want thte paint job to come out very nice.
Read through lots of this site- many similar threads

Thank you very much.
Good luck!!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Primer & paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Good luck!!
Thanks BJ.... ..thanks Brush
Mstrlucky74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
Roofmaster

Primer & paint

I am not a professional Painter, but I can paint very well and only hired a pro once when I did not have the time to do the work. He did great work.

Paint: I have used Eggshell finish for years on most rooms.

Primer: Zinsser 123 seems to be the clear winner here. Of course you can prime yourself, just don't leave holidays or runs. I do understand a pros desire to control the application all the way through though. Prep really is everything.

Brand: BM is indeed a great paint. Also a great wallet buster, but if you are spending money for a pro painter, I guess you can afford it. I use Behr Premium and have never had a problem with it, and I think it is cursed by pros because it does not come from a "paint store". I just finished three rooms and it went on like silk, covered in one coat and was not drippy at all. It did smell a bit for a couple of days, though, and I don't think the BM aura smelled at all.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #5

Primer & paint

I do not paint for a living but when I do paint new dry wall it is Sherwin Wiliams paint products. I use their PVA primer two coats then use cashmire paint. done simple. Don't fall for that "paint and primer in one" crap you do that on new dry wall your going to be doing up to five coats min.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer & paint

Have you ever seen pro painters lined up to buy paint at a box store? Think there could be a hint or suggestion in this question repeated too many times on this site?

Please be sure to prep your job and apply your primer with the same care you would almost put into your finish coats. And of course we would prefer to see you through from start to finish.

Any paint will fade when exposed to light. This is one reason a "covers in one coat" product will not hold up like two coats of nice, best you can afford, paint store finish. Dark colors may show fading faster. Certain colors, without UV protection, will fade faster two. Around here---and I suspect where you are---there are a couple dry cleaners and hair salons with some scary looking posters in the windows of people missing two of the process colors used in four color printing.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Primer & paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I am not a professional Painter, but I can paint very well and only hired a pro once when I did not have the time to do the work. He did great work.

Paint: I have used Eggshell finish for years on most rooms.

Primer: Zinsser 123 seems to be the clear winner here. Of course you can prime yourself, just don't leave holidays or runs. I do understand a pros desire to control the application all the way through though. Prep really is everything.

Brand: BM is indeed a great paint. Also a great wallet buster, but if you are spending money for a pro painter, I guess you can afford it. I use Behr Premium and have never had a problem with it, and I think it is cursed by pros because it does not come from a "paint store". I just finished three rooms and it went on like silk, covered in one coat and was not drippy at all. It did smell a bit for a couple of days, though, and I don't think the BM aura smelled at all.

That is not my reason, nor any painter I know.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (04-07-2013), Gymschu (04-06-2013), Nailbags (04-06-2013), Sir MixAlot (04-07-2013), ToolSeeker (04-07-2013), user1007 (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer & paint

I have used the stuff when donated to sappy causes I volunteer for. It is just different in the way it performs, they way it sags. It takes me at least 30 percent longer to get a can of box store paint nicely applied to a wall. Maybe this is not a factor for the DIYer. I accept the argument.

But even places I painted voluntarily call be back when the paint peels off with the slightest washing or the humidity changes. Or a kid in a shelter peels his poster off and chunks of the paint come loose.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer & paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I am not a professional Painter

covered in one coat
That's it? We are back to bragging about paint that covers in one coat again? Of course lots of it does. The second coat builds film thickness and adds resins with color that might stand up to a bright sunny day or two with less fading.

I have former clients with kids that swear Aura, even in flat, can stand up to anything.

And I am sorry, many of us would flock to HD or box stores if they sold a product of quality anywhere near approaching what a paint store does. And please let us not talk about any degree of expertise availed at HD.

Posted this some years ago. Still like it.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Primer & paint

OK, so none of what Consumer Reports says is fact? Im just going by personal experience. I used to use nothing but Benjamin Moore Paint, but after trying Behr Premium, I saw very little difference in the two for almost half the price of BM. They now say that the paint sold by Ace hardware has bested both BM, and Behr Premium. Go Figure.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer & paint

Let's not go down this path yet again. I will say if you type in BEHR at the Consumer Reports site and read the comments it is amusing and makes me wonder? I think Ben Moore aced out BEHR anyhow.

O'Leary Paints out of Michigan scooped major industry awards if you want to play the ranking game.

Last edited by user1007; 04-06-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #12

Primer & paint

Jagans, really? Again with the pro painter bashing. Sheesh. If a painter was putting shingles on his house that you knew sucked, you would tell him so. Then, hopefully, you would recommend something better. I'd rather pay $40 per gallon for a quality paint that covers better, goes further, and holds up longer than the $19.95 garbage from Behr. Yes, it's garbage. Thanks for playing. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

.......and, for the record, if Behr works for you, that's great. Hell, if tinted water works for someone and they're happy with the results, hey, go for it. I don't think any of us "so-called" pros would force a paint product down a client's throat........but we sure owe it to them to point out the positives of investing in a quality product.

Last edited by Gymschu; 04-06-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-07-2013), user1007 (04-06-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 12:08 AM   #13

Primer & paint

Like I said I am in means a pro painter Just a old broken down handy man that does odd jobs for people. I have used box store paints and have used real paint store paints. Not all are created equal. I had a pro tell me once you will always pay twice for cheap stuff. The Orange or blue box store paints are almost as cheap as they come. the only cheaper is the walmart paint. Or Ace hardwear stuff. Stick to high quality paints Like Benjamin Moore Or Sherwin Williams paints.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Primer & paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans;1153732[COLOR=red
]OK, so none of what Consumer Reports says is fact?[/COLOR] Im just going by personal experience. I used to use nothing but Benjamin Moore Paint, but after trying Behr Premium, I saw very little difference in the two for almost half the price of BM. They now say that the paint sold by Ace hardware has bested both BM, and Behr Premium. Go Figure.

NOW you got it.

Last edited by chrisn; 04-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #15
registered

Primer & paint

Primer Bulls-eye 123 interior exterior primer sealer.
Paint. Sherwin Williams Super paint or Cashmere. I don't have a Ben Moore dealer.

I prefer eggshell on walls.

Last edited by 747; 04-07-2013 at 04:21 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote