Primer Over OLD Sheetrock - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Primer over OLD Sheetrock

Hi! New to this forum, as I have recently bought a house and have a lot of DIY projects already started and need some advice!

First project was tearing down some awful wood paneling that sat over 4 layers of wallpaper. My inexperienced self sprayed the wallpaper with a water sprayer to remove the wall paper before I realized that the walls underneath were unprimed and unfinished. There are bad water stains on one wall, but the rest are OK in relation to water stains. The other problem is that the coloring of the sheetrock is a medium brown color and is coming through the compound that my 'skim coater' is putting up. Screws and seams were not finished prior to placing up the wall paper back in the 1960's, so they are now being coated. These are the only areas that are remaining light/white from the joint compound, and the rest of the wall is turning a yellow/brown. Will I be able to cover this successfully with a primer before painting?

A painter friend of mine said that I will need to use oil based primer to achieve the best results, but I have 3 kids and about 8 walls to paint with primer, and we are living in the house through the remodel. Is there any latex primer that will cover and last? We have 5 gallons of Kilz premium from priming walls in our old house that held up fine, but I am unaware of how well this will work over stains and color changes.

Thanks so much for the time! I am sure I will become a regular poster (PIA) with all of our projects to come!

Advertisement

aimee0508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,294

The problem with water based stain blocking primers is that they act as a "wick" and allow those stains to come all the way through the skim coat. I suppose you could try the water based KILZ to see how it works since you already have some on hand. CoverStain from Zinsser would be my personal choice but you will choke your family with the noxious fumes.

Advertisement

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,684

There is a product available thru Sherwin Williams and some big box stores called, I think Rx35 that is low odor or there is a new BIN advanced that is supposed to be as good a stain blocker as original Bin without the odor. The Bin Advanced may be hard to find since it is new. And to be honest I have not used it yet.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

The Kilz premium might work. This is an excerpt from the product directions regarding stain blocking.

"After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating."

Yours sounds like an extreme case of water staining. The directions imply (and i have seem this happen with other latex primers) that the stains may bleed through the primer coats, but be 'blocked from coming through the finish coat.
I would guess it would take two coats of the Kilz to have a chance of blocking staining that bad.

Oil primers are definitely a safer bet. Cover Stain is among the best as Gym pointed out.
There is an odorless oil primer made by the same company that has worked well for me.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...stain-blocker/

Odorless oil primers are a lot less unpleasant to work with than regular oils, but odorless doesn't mean it doesn't give off harmfully fumes. Vent the work area well with any paint.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
There is a product available thru Sherwin Williams and some big box stores called, I think Rx35 that is low odor or there is a new BIN advanced that is supposed to be as good a stain blocker as original Bin without the odor. The Bin Advanced may be hard to find since it is new. And to be honest I have not used it yet.
rx-35 will not work at all, it is sort of like Gardz, good but not a stain blocker
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-16-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for all the tips thus far! We still have one more coat until the skim coat is complete for final sanding, so I will see how bad the staining is and determine what I will try first. Probably gearing towards sending the kiddos to grammas for the night and trying to bang out the whole floor plan in oil based primer.

Advertisement

aimee0508 is offline   Reply With Quote