Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #1

Share |

Primer over old plaster and new joint compound?

Currently redoing a bedroom that previously had wallpaper on the walls and ceiling. Walls and ceiling are plaster from the late 1800s and will need some work but I'm not sure what order to do things in.

From what I've gathered it seems many recommend using an oil based primer over bare plaster and a good primer sealer such as Zinsser Gardz over joint compound and new drywall? Does this sound right or am I way off?

My next step is washing all of the glue off of the plaster as all of the paper has been removed. After that, should I prime all of the bare plaster with oil based primer and then skim coat and touchup where necessary followed by a water based sealer on the fresh mud? Or should I do the repairs and then prime everything with oil based primer?

I don't mind doing extra work as long as I get good long lasting results. This will be a kids room so a good solid job is a must. I'm planning on using a satin latex on the walls and ceiling (can't stand flat paint imperfections or not) and semi gloss on trim.

All opinions and thoughts welcome!

cj133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #2

Once you clean the paste off the walls and skim/patch any spots you want, you can put on a coat of Gardz over everything. No other primer is needed. You might want to sand everything first.

jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
cj133 (03-31-2014), Gymschu (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Once you clean the paste off the walls and skim/patch any spots you want, you can put on a coat of Gardz over everything. No other primer is needed. You might want to sand everything first.

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for responding.

Are there any primers other then Gardz you would recommend for this just in case I can't find it locally?

I used Valspar PVA 2 years ago and wasn't happy with it on plaster as it didn't seem like it adhered to it well. I'm hoping to do better this time.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

You can look into Roman Rx-35 and Kilz Klear also. My local Benjamin Moore store carries Gardz, not sure about yours. Sherwin Williams carries Rx-35, and Home Depot carries Kilz Klear.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
You can look into Roman Rx-35 and Kilz Klear also. My local Benjamin Moore store carries Gardz, not sure about yours. Sherwin Williams carries Rx-35, and Home Depot carries Kilz Klear.
What are your thoughts on the cheap PVA stuff out there? Were my results typical?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj133 View Post
What are your thoughts on the cheap PVA stuff out there? Were my results typical?
That it is cheap and your results are typical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
cj133 (03-31-2014), ToolSeeker (04-11-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #7

Stick with the Gardz. You had wallpaper paste that can very well reactivate when you go to paint and cause bubbling.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #8

Have never been happy with PVA primer.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
So I've tried to track down Gardz locally and no luck. Called our local BM store and they don't have it either.

Which would you say is better, the Roman RX-35 or the Kilz Klear? I have a SW store I can check out if the RX-35 is better.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #10

I just removed wallpaper and had to skimcoat the ceiling and walls. I asked here in this forum and the replies I got were all overwhelmingly for Gardz. I returned the Rx-35 I bought from the depot and ordered the Gardz from Amazon because I couldn't find it anywhere locally. It was on my doorstep in 3 days and it was probably the best advice I've gotten. I applied it on the bare walls after removing the wallpaper and couldn't remove all the glue, then I did 2 skim coats over it, Gardz again, primer, then paint. Worked awesome and I couldn't be happier with the results. Get the Gardz if you can. You won't regret it.
DaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #11

I suspect the Roman would be better, but I'm mostly guessing.

Regarding DaFish's comments, there's certainly no reason to apply a primer coat after the second coat of Gardz. If you sand any remaining residual paste, then apply Gardz directly over it, if it's smooth enough, you're good to paint. If you feel the need to skim coat first, then a second coat of Gardz after skim coating is plenty.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/zins...aler-1-gallon/
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
I suspect the Roman would be better, but I'm mostly guessing.

Regarding DaFish's comments, there's certainly no reason to apply a primer coat after the second coat of Gardz. If you sand any remaining residual paste, then apply Gardz directly over it, if it's smooth enough, you're good to paint. If you feel the need to skim coat first, then a second coat of Gardz after skim coating is plenty.
Yeah the extra coat of primer might have been overkill, but it's a small kitchen, I had the extra primer, and I figured it wouldn't hurt. Regardless, it all worked out great for me.

And BTW, if anyone is a first time skim coater like I was, I did the traditional method for the first coat which I wasn't thrilled with, then I figured I'd try a paint roller to apply the second coat. Skimmed with a regular 12" taping knife. Roller method was awesome. May not be everybody else's suggestion, but it worked great for me.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #14

Once you've tried using a roller, I think there's really no other reasonable option. I far prefer this for skim coating.
http://www.all-wall.com/Marshalltown-Drywall-Squeegee.html
Old 04-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #15

I was gonna try that Magic Trowel too, but I was talked out of it/couldn't find it locally/didn't have time to order it, so I didn't. I think if I ever have to skim coat again, I'll use the paint roller and Magic Trowel method.