Primer For Exterior Sunroom - Latex Or Oil - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Primer for exterior sunroom - latex or oil

Hello everyone. I have a sunroom exterior that I need to paint and I'm not sure which primer to use, latex or oil. The sunroom's exterior is starting to peel and bare wood is showing. This is only happening where the sun beats down on it. The other side is ok, but will still paint it.

I plan on scraping and sanding as much as I can to get most of the old paint off.

I live in ND and so I get extreme cold and 90 to 100 degrees in the summer. Also in the summer the inside of the sunroom really gets hot and humid.

Not sure if I'm over thinking this and should just go buy some latex primer and latex paint.

Advertisement

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Primer for exterior sunroom - latex or oil

I used to be an oil solvent alkyd based primer enthusiast for these sorts of situations and an oil product might not check or raise the grain on the wood so much. I would use something like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Alkyd if you can buy it.

However, if you are going to cover the primer with two coats of quality latex acrylic product a good quality bonding waterbased primer---like Zinsser 123--- should work fine for you also. Shellac over an bleeding sap scars or knot holes first.

Your other possible option is to consider a superior quality watebased acrylic soild stain product. Sherwin Williams Woodscapes comes to mind and you can get factory colors or have it tinted like paint. It is self-priming and can be used over new or previously painted surfaces. Just ad more to those areas that seem to need more frequent attention then others. Arborcoat is a newer Benjamin Moore equivalent and I suspect it is a good product as well but I was out of the game before I had a chance to use it.

MAB had a magical solid stain also but its formula was phased out and I hope adapted or modified to become Woodscapes when SW acquired the company some years back. It was a fave of antique home restorers for their wood siding restorations.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-02-2013 at 02:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote