Primer - Even Coat Needed? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Primer - even coat needed?

Hi!

I'm painting my whole house. The previous owner has painted a medium brownish color over the builder's original paint, so I decided to put a primer on it before my final top coat (Kilz2 Latex - too late; I should have done more research here first).

My question is, how even does the primer coat need to be? I find it a little hard to make it a solid coat unless I go over it 2-3 times (it's likely due to my skills).

Here's an attachment to give you an idea. This is actually one of the better ones; some of them are worse. Should I add another coat of primer to make it more even first before putting on the top coat?

Old paint - Behr Premium
Primer - Kilz2 Latex ("premium" for kitchen and bath with old glossy paint)
Top coat - Behr Ultra w/primer

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Primer - even coat needed?-img_6329.jpg  

Advertisement

DaveSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

Your primer does not need to be applied as a solid coat. And given that you have primed the walls, you really don't need a primer/topcoat all-in-one as your finish coat unless that is really the paint you want to use. My guess is you will get a better end product with a straight finish coat.

Advertisement

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #3

Thanks! Yeah, that was a mistake on my part to get the one with primer (already purchased). With the horrible experience others are getting with the Behr all-in-1, hopefully I may have better luck with a primer underneath... though it's also a primer that is not recommended by most here either. :p
Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Old paint - Behr Premium
Primer - Kilz2 Latex ("premium" for kitchen and bath with old glossy paint)
Top coat - Behr Ultra w/primer

Good luck with that!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

I'm now getting paranoid.

For my master bedroom with open access to master bath (no door, lots of opening between the too including the ceiling area), I got Ben Moore Aura because of the supposedly better water/mildew resistance. I like taking hot showers.

The plan is to coat the glossy original paint (after light sanding and TSP) with Kilz2 Premium followed by the Aura.

Is the Kilz2 so horrible that I should seriously consider ditching it? Will it ruin the top coat?

Thanks!

BTW, I got the primer because I thought it will provide better adhesion; not for blocking existing stains or color.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Is the Kilz2 so horrible that I should seriously consider ditching it?

Yes, go with Zinnser 123 or Ben Moore Fresh Start
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Thanks, Chrisn. In that case, I'll use your recommended primer for the master bathroom and use my batch of Kilz2/Kilz2-premium elsewhere where I don't have adhesion/moisture concerns.

I still haven't settled down in my new place yet, so the room is still empty. It's better to do it right the first time than to have it peeled off and have to relocate and repaint, especially with a baby on the way. My friends told me I'm too paranoid.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Dave,

If you are concerned about the moisture from the bathroom than I would strongly suggest the Aura Bath and Spa paint (which is a matte finish) or the Aura Satin or Semi-gloss - stay away from the Aura Matte (522) and Aura Egg (524). Since you mentioned it's for your bedroom, I'm assuming you probably don't want a semi gloss so I would ask your Ben Moore store if they carry the bath and spa - it's the same price as the other Aura paints but will hold up much better to the heavy moisture.

Advertisement

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote