Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |

Primer coat will not adhere to bedroom wall

I am using primer to paint over what appears to be an old flat latex paint in a bedroom. No matter what I do to prep the surface, like TSP or light sanding, the primer will not adhere. For example, after loading the roller and making one pass, if I roll back over the fresh pass, or the previous pass next to it, the primer comes right off.

My workaround so far is to roll the first pass and move on - in other words, do not paint over what was just painted. The problem with this is that ugly roller lap marks cannot be removed. Any help would be appreciated. Ultimately, I am trying to paint over a darker beige color with an off-white finish coat. Thanks!

teejersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Sounds like something is contaminating the wall, also what primer are you using. If you used tsp, it needs to be rinsed and rinsed and rinsed with fresh water.

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

^^^^That was my first thought rinse the TSP.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

Chris and TS are correct. Gotta get that TSP off. Also, you're not gonna get any kind of great coverage with the primer over a dark color. Also, you really don't need to prime unless you are going to put on a drastically different color. Just my 2 cents'.

Another thing is technique. Load that roller up with primer. It should ALMOST be dripping wet when pulling it up out of the roller tray. Let the roller do the work, don't push it, roll it. Re-load often.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Will22 (10-07-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
ltd

if your use a quick drying bonding primer you can not over work it.the primer is starting to tack up and by back rolling your interfering with the drying process. Roll it on and move on . p.s if in fact it is and old flat latex finish ,just skip the primer and 2 coats of good quality finish paint .bing bang boom done

Last edited by ltd; 10-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #6

Thank you all for your replies. This is a Wonderful Forum!

ChrisN you were right about the TSP and rinsing. I went back and rinsed over it three separate times and still the TSP was foaming on the wall, and the fresh rinse water was cloudy. Is there a better product to use than TSP? How about just a few drops of dish detergent in water?

LTD, thank you for explaining about bonding primer. I was treating it like regular latex paint that can be gone over on a second pass. What you said makes perfect sense.
teejersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Dirtex
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-06-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

TSP is kind of old fashioned now I think. There are TSP substitutes that should be more than adequate at cleaning your wall. Look for "phosphate free" TSP, which is a misnomer of course, because the P in TSP stands for phosphate. Instead of trisodium phosphate, it might be trisodium metasilicate, such as in Dirtex. Or just look for something labeled "TSP substitute". Some of these are advertised as no rinsing required, whereas TSP must be rinsed very well.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote