Which Primer? Clear Pine And Drywall - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 170

Which Primer? Clear Pine and Drywall

I need to prime/paint a clear pine interior 6-panel door, and also 1/2" clear pine wainscoting. I was told that I should use an oil based primer and that Latex isn't as ideal. Is this true?

Can someone recommend a primer that is suitable for clear pine? Its more convenient for me to go to Home Depot so if there is a primer there that is ideal share the name and type. Or, I have some Benjamin Moore "Fresh Start" All-Purpose Acrylic primer left over from a few years ago, should I use that??? Oil, Acrylic, or Latex best?

Now that we are talking primers, I also have newly taped drywall that needs priming. Any recommendations on that too, or is the same primer suitable for both the clear pine and the drywall?

Benjamin Moore Vs. Home Depot
I usually use Benjamin Moore products but its less convenient than going to Home Depot since I'm there a lot right now anyways with this small renovation. I tried to read some reviews on Home Depot's website and they were so split it was hard to tell what was good, or bad, or worthy.

Any recommendations on if Oil is needed or if Latex is ok on the clear pine, and if a specific brand Home Depot carries is good, or if I should just use up the rest of the Benjamin Moore one I mentioned above, and then buy more if I need it.

Advertisement

HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

fresh start will work for darn near anything

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
fresh start will work for darn near anything
Does Fresh Start lay down flat and thin like most indoor primers? When I bought it they sold it to me for my house foundation outside so in my mind it seems like its a thick coat, and in the house I obviously want something that will lay down flat and smooth.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,662

Since the fresh start is a few years old it may not be any good. I would get new fresh start or Zinzer 123 which is latex either should work and both are available at the Depot.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Since the fresh start is a few years old it may not be any good. I would get new fresh start or Zinzer 123 which is latex either should work and both are available at the Depot.

fresh start at the depot??????
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyFrank View Post
Does Fresh Start lay down flat and thin like most indoor primers? When I bought it they sold it to me for my house foundation outside so in my mind it seems like its a thick coat, and in the house I obviously want something that will lay down flat and smooth.

Fresh Start" All-Purpose Acrylic primer is BM's all purpose primer, not sure I would have used it for a foundation primer but it sure works for just about anything else ( except maybe nicotine, extreme water stains, bleeding knots and the like.. As tool said being that old, it might be time for a new can, but then again, if it was sealed up tight and not exposed to freezing, it should be fine.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,662

Sorry you are correct I was thinking of Cover Stain. My bad as they say.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
chrisn (01-21-2014)
Old 01-27-2014, 12:38 AM   #8

So I went to Shermin Williams and the guy talked me into an oil based primer for the pine door, and the pine wainscoting. Guessing the oil based paint is going to stink like crazy, no? Considering returning it for something less powerful, but if oil isn't as bad as it used to be i'll use it. Anyone know if oil still stinks like mad?

I also picked up a can of the multi-purpose latex primer they sell for the walls and stuff, but I suppose I can use that on the pine too if you all think its ideal. Is it? Anyone use any Shermin Williams primers on pine and were happy with it?

Advertisement