Primer For Cigarette Smoke On Popcorn Ceilings - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

primer for cigarette smoke on popcorn ceilings

Hi,

I need to paint my mothers house in order to sell it. The problem, she has popcorn ceilings which I do not want to take off. She smoked in there for over 20 years. I would like to use BIN to prime with but I'm going to be using a sprayers. Cant really roll it anyway because of the popcorn. Can BIN be sprayed? I read alot of controversy on this. Thanks!

Advertisement

dawneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bin can be sprayed - but it is awful. But it will do the job.
RESPIRATOR! THE GOOD GAS MASK ONES!!

Recently I had the exact same situation and I used Zinnser Smart Prime- its a waterborne Alkyd hybrid. And it worked. Very little smell, easy to use.
Sometimes if bad enough- it might take 2 coats - let dry between. But so much more survivable than BIN.
I'm not guaranteeing it will work- but it did for me and I was impressed.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Zinsser Cover Stain will also do the job, it's cheaper and probably easier to use. I don't spray so I can't comment on that. If you have to do a second coat, I would wait twenty four hours between. Double apps to cover certain stains will also come with specified times between coats, else it won't be effective. I did one with BIN that required 24 between. May not be in your case, but why take the chance and find out two days after you're done that your fresh white flat ceilings are starting to yelllow. BJ, that's why I'm skeptical of your rec. I remember back when you discussed it before. It may seal, but for how long? Will it give the long term success that BIN or CS will? In Dawn's case, it only needs to last through the sale. Oil base paints will block knots longer than latex, but not as long as shellac, to use an explanatory analogy. That's my main question with these new products, will they perform and last as long as what we're accustomed to using? Who knows, I might be wrong, and surprised.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Zinsser Cover Stain will also do the job, it's cheaper and probably easier to use. I don't spray so I can't comment on that. If you have to do a second coat, I would wait twenty four hours between. Double apps to cover certain stains will also come with specified times between coats, else it won't be effective. I did one with BIN that required 24 between. May not be in your case, but why take the chance and find out two days after you're done that your fresh white flat ceilings are starting to yelllow. BJ, that's why I'm skeptical of your rec. I remember back when you discussed it before. It may seal, but for how long? Will it give the long term success that BIN or CS will? In Dawn's case, it only needs to last through the sale. Oil base paints will block knots longer than latex, but not as long as shellac, to use an explanatory analogy. That's my main question with these new products, will they perform and last as long as what we're accustomed to using? Who knows, I might be wrong, and surprised.

We must be the only 2 that don't
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you all for the responses.
dawneb is offline   Reply With Quote