Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Share |

Primer for Cabinets

I am getting ready to paint my Cabinets. The are an unfinished Alder and I was wondering which type of primer I should use on them prior to painting. I didn't know if there was anything special that I needed to use or not. Thanks!
cambishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer for Cabinets

You probably want a sealer/primer combination. I would use a sandable one. Apply the sealer/primer. Let it dry. Then sand lightly before your finish coats.

If you have patience. A mix of 50 percent mineral spirits and 50 percent processed (not raw) lindseed oil is an old time favorite sealer for raw wood. Follow it with an alkyd primer/underlay product. Finish with either acrylic/latex or oil enamel.

Paint store, not box store crap right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #3

Primer for Cabinets

I'm going to Sherwin Williams, does that qualify as a paint store? I will probably just do the primer/sealer prior to painting. Thanks for you help!
cambishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Windy Painters

Send a message via Skype™ to Windy Painters

Primer for Cabinets

I preffer BIN Shellac primer. Dries in 30 minutes. Covers all stains and fills wood knots. It's a little pricey - 40$/g but it's worh the money. Usually I apply with Fraco 495.
Chicago painter
Cabinets refinishing
Windy Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Primer for Cabinets

There is an oil primer called underbody that is made for raw wood. The standard for years. Seals, and then sands smooth.
chrisn (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #6

Primer for Cabinets

How do you keep the Bin shellac from drying up as it comes out of the tip (5/17)of the airless?
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #7
jschaben

Primer for Cabinets

My cabinets are pine and mdf and I was using bin but for the $20/gal difference, I've found cover stain just as effective. The pine is pretty well knot free but I do spot prime knots fingernail size and larger with BIN.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #8

Primer for Cabinets

The benefit of using bin, even on clear pine, is that knots are not the only tannin issue. You can get tannin bleed in the form of haze, a general yellow/brownish discoloration, which I've been seeing more frequently lately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
jschaben

Primer for Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You probably want a sealer/primer combination. I would use a sandable one. Apply the sealer/primer. Let it dry. Then sand lightly before your finish coats.

If you have patience. A mix of 50 percent mineral spirits and 50 percent processed (not raw) lindseed oil is an old time favorite sealer for raw wood. Follow it with an alkyd primer/underlay product. Finish with either acrylic/latex or oil enamel.

Paint store, not box store crap right?

Patience I guess A Ben Moore guy suggested I do that... hmm,, musta been 15 years ago.... for a job I was contemplating. But he also suggested that by going that route it would need 4 to 6 weeks before topcoating.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
jschaben

Primer for Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt82 View Post
How do you keep the Bin shellac from drying up as it comes out of the tip (5/17)of the airless?
Bin sprays pretty well. I haven't used it with anything as big as a 495 but have sprayed it with HVLP and wagner buzz bombs. I like the HVLP best, just like from a rattle can but a lot cheaper.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
jschaben

Question

Primer for Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
The benefit of using bin, even on clear pine, is that knots are not the only tannin issue. You can get tannin bleed in the form of haze, a general yellow/brownish discoloration, which I've been seeing more frequently lately.
Tannin issues tend to show up fairly quickly don't they?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #12

Primer for Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Tannin issues tend to show up fairly quickly don't they?
With latex, sometimes before the paint dries

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
jschaben

Primer for Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
With latex, sometimes before the paint dries
That's what I was thinking. Sorta like those felt tip markers.. Had one of those took two coats of BIN to block.