Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Primer alone first or Glidden Duo (primer+paint mix) on renovated/patched walls?

I have a number of walls that have a mix of old lath+plaster and new drywall (parts of walls are plaster, other parts new drywall). The old plaster walls have paint on them but they have not been painted in a long time (like 6 years).

I am aware that there is Glidden Duo primer+paint mix which saves time (2 vs total of 4 coats with priming and painting separately). However, given the nature of the walls and the integration of the old and new technologies, as well as the fact that the old parts already do have paint but the old ones do not, I am not sure if I can go with Duo or if I should prime it first and then paint it.

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Primer alone first or Glidden Duo (primer+paint mix) on renovated/patched walls?

No such thing as paint and primer in one. You might save a coat on previously painted walls but not the same thing.

I think you answered your own question. At least prime the repairs. If it has been a long while, and you have any reason to question what is on the walls now? And you are willing to expend the time and money? A nice coat of quality primer will certainly not hurt your finished job.

You should still plan on two coats of finish of some kind to build up the film thickness for washability, colorfastness and so forth. Even if the paint seems to cover colorwise in one coat.

You can tint your primer 40-50% of the color formula you picked for the finish if it makes it easier for you to see what you are doing.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
No such thing as paint and primer in one.
Well, that's what Glidden Duo is advertised as:

http://www.glidden.com/pro/collectio...-primer-pro.do

Which I understand as not needing to paint four times (2x primer, 2x paint) but only twice. Are you saying this product doesn't work as advertised?

I was hoping to safely use the mix formula for brand new ceilings
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You would not need two coats of a good primer/sealer in any event---just one.

I was saddened to see that even Ben Moore has succombed to this marketing gimmick and is advertising its new box store consumer product as paint and primer in one. As far as I know, none of its other products are marked this way.

The topic has been discussed near to death on this site if you feel like reading up on the responses. It is a marketing ploy with as much merit as phrases like "superior one coat coverage".

Primers and finishes are designed to serve different purposes. Is it false advertising? I guess that depends on how you interpret the fine print and the claims.

I guess the question comes down to whether you really want to skimp on your project at this point to save the money and time to apply the necessary coats of material. If it were my home or you were my client (and I was still painting for a living) I would not use it.

At the end of it all, I guess we are talking about a ceiling though? I have never completely bought the logic of using lesser materials on a ceiling but I guess if you were to try a duo product, that would be the place. I still would not do it. Unfortunately there are still no products that fix your primer coat from the top down. You will have to live with what you put up there.

You might check to see if it even suggests you use it on new drywall or repairs? It may not make such claims for all I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (04-13-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

One coat quality primer, 2 coats quality paint, done.

Glidden does not qualify for either (IMO)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As mentioned before I see the paint store Glidden trucks all the time around here out delivering to somebody so maybe, like Pittsburgh, the real stuff is alright and the box store product is consumer trap crap. I have never used but donated box store Glidden and was not impressed. I do remember it going on better than donated Behr but that is hardly a glowing endorsement. There was no pro line of Glidden anywhere I worked so I have no experience with the higher quality products.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
As mentioned before I see the paint store Glidden trucks all the time around here out delivering to somebody so maybe, like Pittsburgh, the real stuff is alright and the box store product is consumer trap crap. I have never used but donated box store Glidden and was not impressed. I do remember it going on better than donated Behr but that is hardly a glowing endorsement. There was no pro line of Glidden anywhere I worked so I have no experience with the higher quality products.
You have to be careful when it comes to the Glidden line of paints. I've used them for years, the Pro paint store line. Started out as Glidden, switched to ICI and is now Glidden Professional. I've recently heard they are about to be bought out by Pittsburgh Paints.

Anyway the Glidden paint you get at Ace and other hardware Stores is not the same paint as the Glidden Professional line. I regularly use their Ultra Hide 250 , Diamond 350 and 450 and Fortis 450 and have always had great results.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JMDPainting For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-15-2013), ToolSeeker (04-15-2013), user1007 (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDPainting View Post
You have to be careful when it comes to the Glidden line of paints. I've used them for years, the Pro paint store line. Started out as Glidden, switched to ICI and is now Glidden Professional. I've recently heard they are about to be bought out by Pittsburgh Paints.

Anyway the Glidden paint you get at Ace and other hardware Stores is not the same paint as the Glidden Professional line. I regularly use their Ultra Hide 250 , Diamond 350 and 450 and Fortis 450 and have always had great results.

It already happened.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
It already happened.
They haven't made any changes at my store yet. Wasn't sure if it had yet.
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

yup they already got bought out. i seen a sign last week at the dulux store and i was like whatttt!?!? went home and googled it. what i would like to know is if they are going to can dulux and other brands and just be pittsburgh? when i go into the paint store i'll be asking questions.
and as for glidden paint their ultra is a decent line of paint. i regularly use glidden ultra for primer and ceiling paint and use dulux lifemaster or dulux diamond for wall colors and trim. the glidden ultra is ok paint for walls to but i find it runny and the finished looking product doesnt compare to better quality paints and other paints in the same price range. the paint and primer in one is a joke. why use a $50 gallon of paint to prime when you can use $20 gallon of primer to do a better job.
you could probably get away with putting the paint you have now on the bare drywall then roll 2 coats on the entire wall but you do run the risk of a flash.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
I have a number of walls that have a mix of old lath+plaster and new drywall (parts of walls are plaster, other parts new drywall). The old plaster walls have paint on them but they have not been painted in a long time (like 6 years).

I am aware that there is Glidden Duo primer+paint mix which saves time (2 vs total of 4 coats with priming and painting separately). However, given the nature of the walls and the integration of the old and new technologies, as well as the fact that the old parts already do have paint but the old ones do not, I am not sure if I can go with Duo or if I should prime it first and then paint it.
Prime prime prime! I don't know how many times some one has told me that they will use a "paint and primer in one" for new or repaired drywall that is disaster in the making. I am not painter by trade but I do know a few things the Easter bunny and tooth fairy is about as real as paint and primer in one.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDPainting View Post

Yes happened in November 2012
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Well, if I were Pittsburgh I would yank the low end product being sold in Menard's to the unsuspecting and unwashed masses and that is dragging the brand reputation down and just leave Glidden as the consumer box store brand. Like SW has done with Dutch Boy. I am surprised to see Ben Moore going after the Behrly paint market with Concept under their own name.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Self-priming latexes on new, textured gypsum drywall have been around for many years. If not specified on the published technical data sheet, prime it with a quality wall primer. There should be no reason to prime 6-year old paint unless staining or drastic color change is involved.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #15

Quote:
It is a marketing ploy with as much merit as phrases like "superior one coat coverage".
I'd agree it has about as much merit as one coat coverage. Some paints in some colors do give excellent one coat coverage. As far as it being a marketing ploy - yes and no. You can either look at it like you simply don't always need a primer with quality paint over new drywall, in which case it's a bit of a ploy. Or you can look at it like you must always use a primer over new drywall, in which case it's not a ploy because 2 coats of finish paints qualifies. Sherwin Williams warrants Super Paint, for example, with 2 finish coats over bare drywall. And yes it often works very well.

jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, primer