Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc
Share |

primer adhesion problem

im my sons room that ive been working on,i had to replace a sheet of drywall a while back ,after sandingthe seam and feathering smoothe yesterday,i gwent home wiped the wall down,got all or atleasst what I think was all the dust off and primed last night before going to bed,this was around 8pm I primed it, then,this morning started taping and this is what happened, any advice,or where or what I did wrong
Attached Images

jpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #2

primer adhesion problem

The first thing that comes to mind is that if you primed last night and put tape on this morning, you didn't give the primer long enough to dry before putting your blue tape on. What blue tape did you use? The 3M 2080 delicate surface tape should be the only thing you use on fresh primer, but even then you should wait 24 - 48 hours and that depends on the drying conditions - temp, humidity, etc..

Also, not sure if it's the way the picture came out or the computer monitor but there seems to be some type of pattern under the primer?? Did you just prime new sheetrock or did you go over something else? What primer did you use?? I'm assuming your going to do some type of faux finish and that's why your running your blue tape. If that's the case and you are in fact just going over new sheetrock than make sure you're using a good primer, make sure it dries for a day or two, and then use the 3M delicate surface blue tape (the orange label).

good luck!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

primer adhesion problem

What type of primer did you use? A quality new construction primer would have worked best. Definitely allow to dry for 48 hours.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

primer adhesion problem

looks like painted( primed) over wall paper, not good
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #5
old guy contractor

primer adhesion problem

The wallpaper pattern is on his hand too so let's get off that one.

The Blue Tape is probably some of the issue.
You should be using a delicate surface tape as mentioned.

What did you prime it with?
Is there any moisture behind this wall that you just repaired?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
jpc
jc

primer adhesion problem

hey thanks everyone for the responces, im thinkin time was some of the issue also. Ok with this wall, its the width of two sheets of drywall, one of which i had to replace, no wall paper the wall was previously lakers purple and gold, , i used Kilz latex2 as the primer.(Tcleve4911) you asked about moisture, the sheet of drywall i had to replace was due to my ac went bad and fill attic with water above this room,ceilings, and a major section of the peice of drywall i replaced was from water damage ,so i think your hitting on something there. I also had both blue tapes on hand, the delicate surface and the multisurface, for some reason i mixed and matched,dont know why. I hope i cover all the questions, and anything else you guys can tell me i would appreciate, as i dont want to do this again in the near future and want to do a good job
Old 04-30-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

primer adhesion problem

Do a sample test spot today. If drying time was the issue that should be resolved by now. That way you can eliminate one possibility.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
jpc
jc

primer adhesion problem

hey Jsheridan, i did that sample spot on monday morning, and nothing peeled up, thanks everyone, sorry for delay in getting back and forth
Old 05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #9

primer adhesion problem

Glad to hear it. Post a final pic when done.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote