Primer - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Primer

Any recommendations for a good drywall primer? Thanks in advance

Advertisement

hompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Primer

Any of the premium lines' acrylic primers (most make cheap ones too) from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh, and Zinsser will do

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Primer

For interior drywall, ANY general purpose interior latex primer is all you need.

Think about it...

The primer simply has to stick to rough porous surfaces like drywall and joint compound and have enough big rocks in it to plug up the holes in those substrates and dry to a rough surface. That's all it needs to do so ANY general purpose latex primer should work just fine for you.

A drywall primer doesn't need to have good alkali or acid or moisture resistance cuz you're putting it on dry interior sheetrock, not fresh concrete. It doesn't have to have good UV or mold resistance cuz it'll be indoors and covered by paint. It doesn't have to dry to a hard scrubbable film like you need in a paint because it'll be under a coat of paint which will protect it from all these things. All it has to do is stick to the drywall and joint compound, plug up the porosity of those substrates and dry to a rough surface. Simple. EVERY primer (oil or latex) should be able to do that job admirably well. If it can't then the company making it has a problem.

I've got no problems with you buying a top of the line acrylic primer from a well recognized name, but in my humble opinion, you'd be better off spending less on your primer and more on your paint.

Personally, I like Pratt & Lambert's Accolade line of paints, and I'm sure they make a top notch latex primer, but I kinda doubt I'd ever buy it. You're better off spending less on the primer (cuz it simply doesn't need to be very good) and more on your paint (cuz the paint has to stand up well to many more environmental factors and do so many things well before people will think of it as a "good paint").

Buy any company's general purpose latex primer.

http://www.paintquality.com/seller/index.html

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 PM   #4
All trades carpenter

Rewards Points: 75

Primer

Drywall PVA PRIMER. Any mid to high priced will do great. I myself am a Dunn Edwards fan. Some now are slightly tinted so you can see where you have painted. It then turns white when it dries.
CrpntrFrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,068

Primer

I like the Kilz2 for drywall, but I really wouldn't use it anywhere else. It is around $12 a gallon and has a flatter finish which accepts the topcoat better. I would never put it on bare wood.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote