Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Share |

Primer?

Hey,
I have a question curious in my mind: when do I need to apply primer on walls?

TurboDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Primer?

When it's bare drywall, repairs have been made, there a vastly differant colored paint going to be applyed, covering up old stains.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #3

Primer?

Turbo, to expand on Joe's points. Yes, when the drywall is new a full coat is on order. When you have patches or stains a spot priming is necessary. I've never really been in the camp to use primer during color changes.
Primer is not really designed to give hide. One coat of finish will hide old colors better than a coat of primer. I think the justification is that primer is cheaper. Really? Most premium primers are no longer that much cheaper than finishes. To buy an additional product, primer, have two different set ups, (primer and finish, two covers and cleaning up primer set up prior to finish), is the cost of product difference justified when the time and energy involved is only a few bucks. The labor and time involved in working with two products doesn't justify the savings. It's easier and cheaper, IMO, to just buy extra finish, apply a third coat and be done with it.
I've been known to apply a full prime coat over previously painted surfaces if the surface is very old, degraded, or otherwise shabby, a lot of staining, etc. The primer will give the surface a fresh start for the two coming topcoats. Without the primer, the first coat of finish will be called upon to seal the surface, which deprives the first coat of some of it's characterisitics, leaving the second topcoat short as well.
Though the paint companies will tell you that their "self priming" finishes eliminate that concern, I still err on the side of priming the worst of surfaces. Besides, sealing surfaces is the job of primers, not finishes, whose job is to provide the sheen, color, and protection of the substrate.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (01-28-2012)