Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Share |

Primer

I bought a new can of primer and haven't had a chance to use it yet... Today one of my kids knocked it over, the lid came off and I lost pretty much all of the oil. Am I writing off the floor mat and the can of primer? I am assuming that it needs the oil? And is now useless?
mel677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Primer

What kind of primer was it. Paint and primer is a complex emultion of pigments,binders and carriers . If you have lost some of the mixture you may not be able to use it. Solvents are added to paints/primer to disolve the resins. If it were solvent loss,you may be alright and able to add more solvent whether it is water,xylene or MEK. If it were a critical penetrating oil or resin, you may be screwed. SO,what liquid was lost?
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Primer

It is Zinsser primer stain killer (so I could hide my kids lovely wall drawings!!). As for the "oil" that was lost, i looked again, and it's pretty much all of it. I guess I should just be happy it was just the oily part on my floor.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Primer

I just realized I didn't finish... When I looked again, there is about 2/3 of the can left in a big white clump. I don't know much about paint or primer, all I know is that it was a big sticky and oily mess in my hallway.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel677 View Post
I just realized I didn't finish... When I looked again, there is about 2/3 of the can left in a big white clump. I don't know much about paint or primer, all I know is that it was a big sticky and oily mess in my hallway.
Big oily sticky mess- is probably resins and oils. Solvents would be thin and evaporate.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Primer

I think that its kinda funny that you spill a third of a can and think that nothing has changed. If it was recently bought- i wouldn't have settled out that much, oil or water base.
Clean it up and get new stuff.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

Primer

How come you didn't have your can shaken at the paintstore? If it had been properly mixed, you wouldn't have lost "oil" you would have lost primer and you would be fine, IMO.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
NACE Coating Inspector

Primer

Take it easy guys. As much as I like to be an A-hole and poke fun at people. This has happened on some of my jobs and the painters think that will be fine to add some thinner. Most paint stores will replace it due to the fact that the lid wasn't sealed properly or the case of paint was shipped upside-down.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #9

Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey
I think that its kinda funny that you spill a third of a can and think that nothing has changed. If it was recently bought- i wouldn't have settled out that much, oil or water base.
Clean it up and get new stuff.
WTF, I already said, I don't know much about paint or primer, so I came to a forum that is available to ask a question... What is so funny about that? I am a single mother of two who is trying to do some of the minor things on my own... I did say that I was assuming the primer was a write off, but on the off chance it could be saved, I asked a question in a forum that I assumed was here to help people that need it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu
How come you didn't have your can shaken at the paintstore? If it had been properly mixed, you wouldn't have lost "oil" you would have lost primer and you would be fine, IMO.
I am actually glad that I didn't have time to get the can shaken!! It would have been a lot more clean up then it was today! >
By the time my daughter explained what had happened, it probably would have been half the can of mixed primer all over the hallway and into my closet!!