DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Primer

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mel677 
#1 ·
I bought a new can of primer and haven't had a chance to use it yet... Today one of my kids knocked it over, the lid came off and I lost pretty much all of the oil. Am I writing off the floor mat and the can of primer? I am assuming that it needs the oil? And is now useless?

#2 ·
What kind of primer was it. Paint and primer is a complex emultion of pigments,binders and carriers . If you have lost some of the mixture you may not be able to use it. Solvents are added to paints/primer to disolve the resins. If it were solvent loss,you may be alright and able to add more solvent whether it is water,xylene or MEK. If it were a critical penetrating oil or resin, you may be screwed. SO,what liquid was lost?

#6 ·
I think that its kinda funny that you spill a third of a can and think that nothing has changed. If it was recently bought- i wouldn't have settled out that much, oil or water base.
Clean it up and get new stuff.

#8 ·
Take it easy guys. As much as I like to be an A-hole and poke fun at people. This has happened on some of my jobs and the painters think that will be fine to add some thinner. Most paint stores will replace it due to the fact that the lid wasn't sealed properly or the case of paint was shipped upside-down.

#9 ·
Brushjockey said:
I think that its kinda funny that you spill a third of a can and think that nothing has changed. If it was recently bought- i wouldn't have settled out that much, oil or water base.
Clean it up and get new stuff.
WTF, I already said, I don't know much about paint or primer, so I came to a forum that is available to ask a question... What is so funny about that? I am a single mother of two who is trying to do some of the minor things on my own... I did say that I was assuming the primer was a write off, but on the off chance it could be saved, I asked a question in a forum that I assumed was here to help people that need it.

#10 ·
Gymschu said:
How come you didn't have your can shaken at the paintstore? If it had been properly mixed, you wouldn't have lost "oil" you would have lost primer and you would be fine, IMO.
I am actually glad that I didn't have time to get the can shaken!! It would have been a lot more clean up then it was today! :mad:
By the time my daughter explained what had happened, it probably would have been half the can of mixed primer all over the hallway and into my closet!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.