Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 AM   #1

Share |

Primed Wall Has Screening Marks: Quick/Dirty Method to Smooth?

Continuing saga…

My dining room was skim coated by workers form the building management.
A couple of the walls were not done so well…there’s some undulation in the walls, but more annoying on a couple walls there's sanding screen marks through the primer…obviously it wasn’t sanded well (other rooms walls were sanded to 220 with sandpaper). The undulations I can live with and consider it ‘character’. The screening marks are just sloppy work and I’d like to get a smooth surface. Mind you, they are not DEEP, just surface screening marks on a wall that was incorrectly or incompletely sanded. The primer they used was Behr #73, New Drywall Primer/sealer. Btw, these are plaster on wood lathe walls .

Had the same issue on another smaller wall in this room and I used ready mix all purpose joint compound with a taping knife and put a very thin skim coat.

But I really do not have time to re-skimcoat this wall, it’s 18’ long. Working within my tool and time constraints, I was wondering if there’s some sort of high build sandable filler or primer I could roll on (no sprayer), maybe apply a couple coats to fill in the screening marks, then sand it smooth.

The other thought was I’ve read of the technique of using a roller to apply thinned joint compound to get the skim coat. But I have the feeling it will end up being too much work and I need to get this room wrapped up ASAP. Again, I just need a really thin layer of something to fill the scratches, then sand it back to smooth.

Topcoat will be 2 coats of Ben Moore Regal flat or matte.

Any ideas on how to do this? Quick and dirty?

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

The primer they used was Behr #73, New Drywall Primer/sealer. Btw, these are plaster on wood lathe walls .

Right there is most of your problem, this is barely primer at all, let alone used for plaster. Go to a real paint store and tell them your story, they will help you. High build primer might help some but is not going to fix your problem, you are going to have to skim out the bad areas.
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 AM   #3

Chrisn,
The walls are 80 year old plaster although the skim coat is joint compound with some plaster of Paris mixed in.

Yeah, the walls in that room were done with Behr primer.

They left me with 5 gallons of the Behr and I did a hallway with it. It sucks as everyone warned me it did. But, I did get a good primed finish in the hallway, I was very deliberate in applying it, it’s not a very forgiving product. Never again…the remaining 5 gallon bucket of Behr Primer is repurposed as a stool.

For the room in question, I primed the ceiling. I bought Ben Moore Fresh Start acrylic and it was much more pleasant to apply and covers better.
I also have a gallon of Zinsser ZERO primer here and a gallon of Zinsser 123.

The screening marks are not super deep, but they are there. I did a light skim to some of the worst areas , but there’s more areas that need to be smoothed out.

I’m time pressured on this room, so I do not think I have the time to do a skim over the whole wall [I’m a rookie skimme r anyways, never used a trowel , and I’m dealing with only a 6”tape knife as my largest tool…I know, not adequate to the task.]

I’m thinking a couple coats of a sandable high build primer might do the job. I’ll see what the Ben Moore store has. Do you have any product suggestions?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

They do make high build primer, its used a lot in new construction it usually only fills minor scratches and minor sanding marks and usually comes in 5gallon pails. The bear primer used is a low grade. The walls are already primed, so you can't sand the marks out. As mentioned already the best method would be to skim coat where the marks are and feather your skim coat out wide, then sand, prime, paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Try a a full body primer and a rather fat roller cover. I would be tempted to go 3/4" nap. As suggested, ask at a paint store. MAB makes Superbond which is nice and thick latex primer. MAB is part of Sherwin Williams now. They and Ben Moore stores may have suggestions. The Benjamin Moore latex primers are my choices.

At this point, given your time frame, it will not look worse. Do stay away from box store crap from now on. I know you may not have had a choice.

It sounds like you are serious about this stuff so I encourage you to invest in a nice 12" or longer blade and drywall tray for your next project. Like anything they take practice but you will like the experience and you are almost there already if you have mastered the smaller ones. At least you are not approaching walls with tiny putty knives!

Last edited by user1007; 11-30-2009 at 05:37 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

Next time stay away from ANY PVA or "Drywall" specific primers. Every time I use that crap you can barely tell the walls were even primed. Maybe it seals but it sure as hell doesn't leave much for the paint to bond to. I am am partial to Zinsser 123 for drywall.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #7

This is turning into a bit of a nightmare. I called a Ben Moore supplier here. They have a high build surfacer product but it is only sprayable. He considered every option and doesn’t have a product that can be rolled on. THe other primers will not fill the sanding marks he said.

He advised sanding the primer off and then sanding the marks out of the underlying skim coat. The problem is the Behr will not sand it will roll up when sanded. Stripping the entire 170 sq/ft of this primer would be an epic nigthmare. He advised against skimming over the primer without Plaster Weld and roughing up the wall a bit. He felt that skimming over the smooth primer could fail/peel off over time.

I may just buy a broad knife and do a very thin skim to just fill in the grooves and rough areas, with regular pre-mix joint compound. It will dry fast. I can sand t and prime this evening.

Any other suggestions…I am running out of time. This needs to be done by end of day today. I'm ready to throw in the towel.
????
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegasoline View Post
I may just buy a broad knife and do a very thin skim to just fill in the grooves and rough areas, with regular pre-mix joint compound. It will dry fast. I can sand t and prime this evening.
That's what I would do.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #9

Can someone post a link to the sorts of tools used for skim coating?

I see mention of broad knives. What exactly is a broad knife?
How wide a knife is generally used?

I have a 6" taping knife (flexible blade) and another about 12' knife (stiff rectangular blade). The former is too narrow to smooth out undulations in the wall and the latter doesn't feather very well.

What about a trowel, would that be better? WOuld it work for a VERY THIN SKIM, as mentioned in my above post.

The other tool I've seen referenced is the 'magic trowel," a very wide (2ft?) squeegee like tool with a rubber blade, the edges of the rubber are apparently made to feather very well.

http://www.texmaster.com/magictrowel.html
Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM   #10

I think a rubber blade would tend to push the compound out of the spots you want it to go in. It would tend to follow the contour of the wall including any indintations or scrape marks rather than create a more even smooth surface.

I would start mudding/patching with your 6" blade. Let that dry then go along with the 12" blade scraping off any high spots left by the 6". Then mud over all those spots again with your 12" blade. Both coats should be as thin as possible while still putting enough on the walls to fill the marks.