Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

pressure washing

I am going to wash the exterior--vinyl siding/soffits and windows, and brick walls.

What do you all like for a cleaner?

I plan to use a brush to scrub all the vinyl. House is under a lot of trees so there is some mildew, but mostly dirt.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

pressure washing

Are you using a pressure washer? If so mix 2 gal bleach, a shot of Dawn liquid dish detergent(make sure it does not have oxiclean in it) and top off a 5 gal buck with water. Spray it on using the black tip from the bottom to the top of the house. Let it sit and rinse off using a 20 degree tip from the top down. The brick walls do the same.
Do not let the mixture dry especially on the windows.

CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

pressure washing

Safety glasses if spraying bleach. Don't want to damage a cornea!
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

pressure washing

Definitely agree. I wear them all the time so I forget to tell it. Also a face mask, with a valve to breathe and not fog glasses.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #5

pressure washing

OK, I have those ingredients handy.

What about TSP? Is it not good for vinyl or brick?
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

pressure washing

I actually used to use Simple Green or Purple Power from the auto store although I am not sure you are supposed to run them through power washers. I was careful to rinse the system thoroughly.

You did mention you were going to do some brush work too! Powerwashers are great but nothing yet beats getting at siding with a brush and/or car wash sponge and a power wash (on low) rinse. And be careful not to saturate water up under the siding or problems you never dreamed of will happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #7

pressure washing

In my neck of the woods (Ohio) we have a product called "the Boss" cleaner which is like sdsester's Simple Green or Purple Power. Depending on how much dirt is on the siding, I dilute the Boss cleaner accordingly.......usually 3 parts water to 1 part cleaner........I mix it up in a garden sprayer with hot/warm water. I pre-wet the siding with a garden hose. Then I apply the boss from the garden sprayer and allow it to marinate. Working in the shade allows for more open time to let the cleaner work. It's amazing how much grime can be loosened up by a good cleaning solution. After 5-10 minutes (longer if you are able) I scrub with a soft bristled brush and rinse with the PW set low or a garden hose works also. Like Sdsester stated, vinyl can be tricky to clean with a PW. The water tends to get into the seams and it pours out bringing ugly dirty plywood particles with it that stick to and stain the vinyl. You CAN use a pw, but be very, very careful.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #8

pressure washing

I clean about 100 houses a year and use 12% bleach on them, whatever you decide to use just go slow and keep aware of your surroundings like wires and other obstacles. Never use a straight stream from the power washer, if you have a red tip throw it away, in 20+ years I have never had a situation that needed it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptRandy For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-28-2012), user1007 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

pressure washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
I clean about 100 houses a year and use 12% bleach on them, whatever you decide to use just go slow and keep aware of your surroundings like wires and other obstacles. Never use a straight stream from the power washer, if you have a red tip throw it away, in 20+ years I have never had a situation that needed it.
People do go crazy with the technology. I don't like loaning tools but lent one of my powerwashers to a competent finish carpenter with the mantra "Less is More!" and the damned fool nearly took the end of his work boot off and carved some nasty looking grooves in the deck he was trying to clean. I told him the tips to use and the pressure. Of course he ignored me and I probably should have started him off with an infant powerwasher. Power is too tempting to some I guess?

His wife called and said I had to see it all. "He has done worse than Tim the Tool Man!"

We flipped the deck boards over and all was well but I had to laugh. Sorry.

Last edited by user1007; 04-28-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM   #10

pressure washing

After 20 some years and so many DIY Instant PW's I have become an old hand at flipping boards. Still charge for the work.
Have a deck to do that the client had her grass cutter do because she felt sorry for him. He cleaned with water not bothering to remove any old coating and then coated with Cabots Solid. Waited a day and recoated. Second coat is sticky and shiny. It never had a chance. Now it has to be stripped, neutralized and then sealed properly. She actually wanted me to hire him, without pay because he caused the problem in the first place, to help do the job. What is his incentive to do what I tell him? I am not paying him. Needless to say I am doing the job myself and charging for his mistake and getting it done properly.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #11

pressure washing

Last year I cleaned my vinyl siding that is yellow, but was greenish/brown from tree algae and dirt buildup. I didnt want to use a PW as its too much effort plus, I didnt want to "test" the waterproofing skills of the siding installer 20 + years ago...

So I bought something my neighbor recommended. Just mixed it per instructions and sprayed it on the siding with a garden style pump sprayer, then rinsed it off with a garden hose. Siding looks like new. Lowes product - JoMAx.

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeeps For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (04-29-2012)