Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Preserving an old toy box

I'm trying to perserve a toy chest my father made for my children back in the 80's. It has two coats of paint on it. One he used was a redwood stain and then I sprayed hunter green over that. (Hindsight always comes last) I was wondering what stripper is highly recommended for this. He made it with whatever wood he had around at the time. I think it's pine. I'd like to stain it with a light color and then put a plate on it with his name and year he built it.

Anyway, it's very special to me since he is no longer living. At the time it was an item he whipped up for my children, but now I want to perserve this handmade toy chest that my father built with love.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

downrightart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

Well this thread just took off like a rollercoaster going off it's tracks!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

downrightart, you really have asked a tough one and you may be very disapointed if you can't get the results you desire.

The green paint may be very difficult to remove from the wood grain.
Heavy sanding may be needed if you want a nice clean new light stain and finish.

Was there any varnish or coating over the redwood stain before the hunter green paint? Please say yes! If yes, the grain of the wood might not have absorbed the green paint.

Is there any plywood in the construction of the toy box?
If no, you might get best results by having this professionally dipped and stripped.
(If it has plywood... the dipping process will delaminate the plywood)

Is the wood fir pine? or Southern yellow pine? this will let us know how hard the wood is and how tight the wood grain may be.

Do you recall the type of paint the Hunter Green was? Acylic Enamel? etc...? This might help in stripper product recommendations.

You might want to consider a fresh coat of the hunter green if it really needs something. Or leave the toy chest as is and add your name to the plaque...toy box by your dad...paint by you... It will still be a special family treasure (even more special with team work) to be looked on with pride.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Have you tried posting on the painting forum?? There are several pros there who may be able to offer advice....
Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #5

Whoa! This machine is rolling now! (Thanks for moving the thread Mr/Ms. Mod!)

I should have started it in paints! Thanks again.

Now to answer Big Bob----or try. YES, I used acrylic spray!

I'm going to get some pics. Maybe one can tell by a picture what kind of pine it is. To tell you the truth, I think it is plywood. He used some of his scraps to make it. My mom says to just touch it up and stencil or paint something on it. But, I SO wanted to make it a natural kind of finish, even though stained. And I HATE hunter green now!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Learning by Doing

Danger Will Robinson. Downright, have you talked to your kids about this? Make sure to get their ok, because they may be sad if their childhood toy-box is 'restored'.

My sister has one of 'our' childhood toy boxes in her living room complete with transformers and barbie stickers applied circa 1984. And it wouldn't be the same if she took a razor blade to it.

None, of my business, but ask your kids. Sorry about your Dad. I know that these sorts of things are PRICELESS.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Danger Will Robinson. Downright, have you talked to your kids about this? Make sure to get their ok, because they may be sad if their childhood toy-box is 'restored'.

My sister has one of 'our' childhood toy boxes in her living room complete with transformers and barbie stickers applied circa 1984. And it wouldn't be the same if she took a razor blade to it.

None, of my business, but ask your kids. Sorry about your Dad. I know that these sorts of things are PRICELESS.
I'm sure they don't want hunter green Leah. It would be nice if I could just get it back like Dad had it, they'd love it. My daughter says, "Mom, I don't have room for it now." My son would just look at me like I was nuts! Right now I'm keeping the quilt my mother made him. He works out of town alot and really doesn't have a home yet. You know, he lives with a bunch of other men, and his duffle bag is his dresser. My mother finally quit making him things...because I'm running out of room! Heh. Neither are married or have children. But, I do WANT their kids to have it! If that ever happens.

I even have a baby iron crib that I asked my father's mother for and my father even fixed that up for me. Bent and straightened the rails and made it child safe for my kids. It's around 85 yrs old or more and it's at my mother's house! I degress.

I guess what I'm saying is this, I know they will appreciate these old items, kept sakes, heirlooms.....oneday. And when they do, I want them to love them as much as I do and be proud of them.

Leah, I have Hot Wheels that I hold on to. I have a toy Hulk Hogan! I even have the VHS Teenage Ninja Turtles for crying outloud! My kids laugh at me for keeping these things and I always say, "You might want them oneday." They still laugh!

Remember the Chrissy Doll that her hair grows? My mom kept that doll! I laugh because I didn't even play with dolls! But, she sure tried bless her heart!
Old 04-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Learning by Doing

My Mom has boxes of our old toys that my nieces and nephews love to dig around in. The husband has all his old matchbox cars.

When I bought my first house (I was the third of my siblings to do so) my father surprised me by giving me the brass bed that was in 'my room' as a child. It was my grandfather's bed when he was a single man, passed to my father, and now onto me. I was honored to take custody of it.

BTW - Get two 100% cotton sheets and sandwich the quilt between them - then ROLL, DON'T FOLD, the quilt. If you have to 'bend' the roll to store it somewhere make sure you periodically shift it so it doesn't get stressed.
downrightart (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
My Mom has boxes of our old toys that my nieces and nephews love to dig around in. The husband has all his old matchbox cars.

When I bought my first house (I was the third of my siblings to do so) my father surprised me by giving me the brass bed that was in 'my room' as a child. It was my grandfather's bed when he was a single man, passed to my father, and now onto me. I was honored to take custody of it.

BTW - Get two 100% cotton sheets and sandwich the quilt between them - then ROLL, DON'T FOLD, the quilt. If you have to 'bend' the roll to store it somewhere make sure you periodically shift it so it doesn't get stressed.
Cool! I love hand-me-downs like those, don't you?

I have them on a quilt rack. Even the one my grandmother made me for graduation......many moons ago. My mom also made me the wedding ring. My daughter has her own. I do move them around on that rack. That's good to know Leah!

I'm one of these people that like to show off my family's talent. Here is a pic of my bedroom. The crocheted bedspread at the end of my bed is what my grandmother made me when I was 11 yrs old. Then the wedding dress is part my mother's and some of mine. The bodice is over 53 yrs old.

My husband teased me about waking up to a headless bride. He finally grew use to it in our bedroom.

Thanks for your input Leah. I truly appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Preserving an old toy box-bedroom3.jpg   Preserving an old toy box-bedroom4.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #10

Btw, I'm finally in the right forum! I painted our bedroom this past Christmas Break.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #11

There's a very(very) slim possibility you could use a mild stripper to remove the top coat and not damage the undercoat. You know what the top coat is, but the undercoat is probably a mystery. This experiment will be a gamble and the execution problematic.
I would experiment on a less sentimental piece until you're confident to work on the toy box.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
downrightart (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
There's a very(very) slim possibility you could use a mild stripper to remove the top coat and not damage the undercoat. You know what the top coat is, but the undercoat is probably a mystery. This experiment will be a gamble and the execution problematic.
I would experiment on a less sentimental piece until you're confident to work on the toy box.
Ron
Good idea! I could work on the back of it. It's made to be flush against a wall. I need to take some pics so you all can see what I mean! I'll try to get some tomorrow. Sometime between painting the closet, repainting the wall screen, etc, etc.

Sometimes I feel like the Hank Parker song! I think I'd rather go fishing!