Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Prepping Wood for Primer: What Grit Sandpaper?

OK, I bought a gallon of Zinsser Cover Stain (added to my arsenal of Zinser 1-2-3). I'm going to apply it to old wood doors and window/door frames that have been stripped to raw wood and then sanded with 60 grit paper in a Random Orbit Sander (ROS). Is that a sufficiently smooth for the primer?

Other doors have been stripped down to decades old oil paint (NOT raw wood). The old oil paint has been briefly smoothed over with the ROS w/60 grit. Is that in the ballpark to provide enough tooth for the Cover Stain Primer to bite?

Some of these areas, along with scraping, have been stripped with Klean Strip KS-3 Stripper (the nasty stuff...chloromethylene or whatever it is): do I need to neutralize these areas with any sort of solvent before I prime?

Thanks.

Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey Lovegasoline, it sounds like you have the correct products to prime the surfaces, especially your cover stain, which works great on raw wood, and old oil finishes. However, you may want to consider hitting the doors again with a 120 grit to alleviate the rougher texture created by a 60 grit (very coarse) sanding. Although it may look good now, after a few coats of paint, the coarser sanding will really stand out. Because your using a good primer, you shouldn't have to worry about your top coat not sticking to the doors due to lack of "tooth". Hope this gets you going!

TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks for the reply.
I've never used Cover Stain so I'm ignorant of its adhesion properties. I'll step up to a finer grit.
Lovegasoline is offline   Reply With Quote