Prepping/Painting Fiberglass Entry Doors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Prepping/Painting Fiberglass Entry Doors

I realize there is a thread on painting fiberglass doors already, but I don't want to paint mine with oil-based rustoleum so I decided to start a new one.

Here's my scenario:

Two brand new Brosco fiberglass entry doors were installed last year, never been painted. One faces west and is always in the shade for the most part under an overhang and the other face east towards the ocean and is under an overhang. The east facing one see's a sea breeze all day, all night. Lots of salt air since we're only 6 houses from the ocean.

That being said, I want to do it right the first time as I don't want to keep stripping and painting it. How should I prep the door? What should I prime the door with? What finish paint should I use?

I'm leaning towards acrylic, but not really sure. If acrylic is the way to go, any favorite acrylic based primers and paints?

Advertisement

Squished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

In addition to the thread running just a few from yours, this comes up often so I would encourage you to use the search function search for the topic.

What does the manufacturer recommend for finishing the doors? Do they have any sort of primer on them now.

Since you have the salt laden moisture to factor in, you might want to see what marine products might be adaptable to your situation.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 610

The Brosco web site was of little help.
#1 It clearly states to paint as soon as it's hung.
All they suggest is use a quality primer and paint. No mention if it should be oil or latex.
I've used this before for doors and fiberglass columns and it came out smooth as a sprayed finish with just a foam roller and 2-1/2" sash brush.
http://pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=45
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
The Brosco web site was of little help.
#1 It clearly states to paint as soon as it's hung.
All they suggest is use a quality primer and paint. No mention if it should be oil or latex.
I've used this before for doors and fiberglass columns and it came out smooth as a sprayed finish with just a foam roller and 2-1/2" sash brush.
http://pettitpaint.com/product.asp?id=45
Yea, that's one of our problems is they weren't painted right away. So i need to prep/clean them first. I've been reading alot about marine paints, seems like a pretty good option only problem is the color choice and whether it will fit into the wife's plan.
Squished is offline   Reply With Quote