Prepping Painted Basement Floor For New Epoxy - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

prepping painted basement floor for new epoxy

Hello,
I'm prepping my basement floor for a new epoxy finish. I've painted it several times over the past few years, but the paint usually ends up chipping in high traffic areas and where we get occasional leakage from heavy rain, leading us to believe that an epoxy finish might be a better option. We rented a grinder and got most of the old paint off, but not all. There is still some paint in the corners and tight areas that couldn't be reached with the grinder. Is it imperative to get ALL of the old paint off? Also, any tips for the rest of the process would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Advertisement

katiepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 512

I would talk to the manufacturer of the product. Many companies have help lines you can call.

Advertisement

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiepalm View Post
Hello,
I'm prepping my basement floor for a new epoxy finish. I've painted it several times over the past few years, but the paint usually ends up chipping in high traffic areas and where we get occasional leakage from heavy rain, leading us to believe that an epoxy finish might be a better option. We rented a grinder and got most of the old paint off, but not all. There is still some paint in the corners and tight areas that couldn't be reached with the grinder. Is it imperative to get ALL of the old paint off? Also, any tips for the rest of the process would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
If the old paint is securely attached, then it generally can be painted over.

You can put down some duck tape on the painted surface, rub down firmly, peel up, if any paint comes up, then you need to work to remove it. If nothing comes up then your probably good to top coat.

Have you just tried a quality Polyurethane floor paint? With a well prepped floor, then can last decades.

If your talking about a 2 part epoxy, you going to be working with a time limit after you mix it. Unless your very confident you can deal with it in the allowed time, prior to set, it may be best to avoid.

I just did a floor with Poly floor paint Gloss and it turned out very well. 2 Coats over a well prepped floor (had some old well attached paint on it still).

Is the leakage from under the slab pushing up through the floor? or are you just saying the room gets wet? If it is from the slab, you may need to do something differently, such as dealing with the problem that is causing the water to enter in the first place.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote