Prepping Old Trim For Fresh Paint (chipping Paint) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Prepping old trim for fresh paint (chipping paint)

Hello,

I'm in the process of painting my master bedroom in a house me and my wife just closed on 2 weeks ago. The walls are painted, now it's time to refinish the window trim, baseboard, and door frames. This is an old house, but the trim only looks to have 2 coats of paint currently on it. Some of the trim, especially around the windows, the paint is peeling up or came up very easy with the tape we used to tape off the trim from the walls.

Do I need to get that entire top coat off before repainting? Why didn't it stick, could it be latex right over an oil paint? The old or original coat looks to be adhering strong still. Do I need to sand the top coat off? Scrape it off? Chemical remover? I purchased an oscillating tool and tried scraping with that some, and I also picked up some 80 grit 6" pads for a pneumatic orbital sander I have. I haven't tried to get it off with the 80 grit yet?

Can I just take some of the top coat off until I get to places where it's not coming up as easily? And if this is acceptable will I see the edges in my new coat of paint?

Advertisement

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegsx View Post
Hello,

I'm in the process of painting my master bedroom in a house me and my wife just closed on 2 weeks ago. The walls are painted, now it's time to refinish the window trim, baseboard, and door frames. This is an old house, but the trim only looks to have 2 coats of paint currently on it. Some of the trim, especially around the windows, the paint is peeling up or came up very easy with the tape we used to tape off the trim from the walls.

Do I need to get that entire top coat off before repainting? Why didn't it stick, could it be latex right over an oil paint? The old or original coat looks to be adhering strong still. Do I need to sand the top coat off? Scrape it off? Chemical remover? I purchased an oscillating tool and tried scraping with that some, and I also picked up some 80 grit 6" pads for a pneumatic orbital sander I have. I haven't tried to get it off with the 80 grit yet?

Can I just take some of the top coat off until I get to places where it's not coming up as easily? And if this is acceptable will I see the edges in my new coat of paint?

Old house = lead paint?? If it's lead, probably should take it down and strip it in the garage, with proper safety measures of course. If not, sanding should work well. For paint removal I have a wagner paint eater I like a lot. You wouldn't want to use it on detailed work though as it will remove that also. You definatly need dust management with the thing too.
If it's on good and tight just scuff and go, Primer + paint.

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,272

You would be amazed at how much paint you can remove with a carbide-bladed scraper. They are super sharp & will take off any loose paint with a bit of elbow grease. Cost is about $10 - $15 depending on where you live. This method will produce less dust and less chance of you or your family intaking lead dust. Definitely listen to John's advice about lead.........wear a filter mask at the very least when scraping. Once you get as much paint off as possible, prime with a bonding primer and apply one or two coats of the paint of your choice.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #4

Just an update: Heat gun + scraper seems to be the fastest method so far. And it's taking everything off down to the bare wood. I'm going to get better mask before going any further, it stinks a little.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

My question is how you're going to do that kind of extensive prep work around finished walls? Your various components of a room should not be at such a wide difference as to level of prep/completion. It's going to force you to work too cautiously to protect them or have a lot of touch-up/repainting.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
My question is how you're going to do that kind of extensive prep work around finished walls? Your various components of a room should not be at such a wide difference as to level of prep/completion. It's going to force you to work too cautiously to protect them or have a lot of touch-up/repainting.
The house was built in the 1920's. The walls are covered in several layers off wallpaper with a few coats of paint on top. The idea is to put up some more fresh paint and then move in. Then we will be gutting one room at a time to insulated, replace knob & tube, and hang drywall. Hopefully all while keeping the original trim. ...But yes, we may have to be cautious of the trim on the second time around when we have to tear out the original lath and plaster from around the trim work.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

You might have been better off just removing the trim( carefully) and doing all the removal out in the garage( or where ever). You have a lot of work ahead, get a BIG dumpster and be prepared for countless trips to it, all with heavy loads.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote