Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Prepping a deck - kinda tricky

I know there are plenty of posts on here for prepping a deck, but my situation is slightly different.

Last year I repaired about half my deck. I stained a few sections with a solid stain to see if I liked the color. The color was nice, but now I'm seeing the peeling that I've heard can happen with solid stains, so now I'm wanting to go with a semi-transparent. I need to clean and strip the deck, but here's my situation.

Right now my deck is a mix of stained boards that are only a year old, previously stained older boards (a yucky solid gray stain - don't know when it was applied or how old the boards are), and parts that were never stained at all (also a year old).

With a mixture of old and new boards, where some are stained and some are not, what is the best way to strip, clean and prep this deck for new staining?

spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Don't make me go to a box store and ask for help there....don't make me do it!!!!

Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,150

I've done lots of decks over the years but nothing quite like yours, Spaceman. You really will have to strip the deck down to bare wood first and foremost, you're on the right track there. There are many products out there.......just go to SW or Benny Moore to get a REAL deck stripper. You will then have to let the deck dry. Once it is nice and dry, you will want to sand the deck fairly aggressively with an orbital sander, especially on the older wood. By sanding you may be able to get the old boards to look relatively close to how the new boards look. I would then test a few boards with your semi=transparent stain to see if it's to your liking. If so, proceed........if not, back to square one.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I've done lots of decks over the years but nothing quite like yours, Spaceman. You really will have to strip the deck down to bare wood first and foremost, you're on the right track there. There are many products out there.......just go to SW or Benny Moore to get a REAL deck stripper. You will then have to let the deck dry. Once it is nice and dry, you will want to sand the deck fairly aggressively with an orbital sander, especially on the older wood. By sanding you may be able to get the old boards to look relatively close to how the new boards look. I would then test a few boards with your semi=transparent stain to see if it's to your liking. If so, proceed........if not, back to square one.
Thanks for the response! The only thing I have done so far is use a pressure washer to remove loose dirt, bird dookie, gum (yeah, I have kids), and mildew.

If I go the sander route, I assume no need to use any chemical strippers or cleaners? I read a few articles that suggested using a cleaner before sanding as the sander can force mildew deeper into the grain. Not sure if I believe that or not...I've come to find some of these "how-to" sites were nothing more than fancy advertisements for a certain product.

Also, any tricks to sanding between slats? Or do I have to get on my hands and knees and sand that by hand?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

You need a real deck stripper. Look up HD 80. It must be followed with a neutralizer after you strip the deck. The sander is only needed it you see a furring on the boards. That furring was too aggressive power wash. Let all dry to 12% before you coat it. Look up Ready Seal or Armstrong Clark for sealers.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
You need a real deck stripper. Look up HD 80. It must be followed with a neutralizer after you strip the deck. The sander is only needed it you see a furring on the boards. That furring was too aggressive power wash. Let all dry to 12% before you coat it. Look up Ready Seal or Armstrong Clark for sealers.
I checked out the HD 80 and on their website it said
Quote:
Due to the volatile nature of this product we discourage shipping to Homeowners!
Can I order this or do I have to go through a distributor?
Edit: Just saw on their site it says it's only sold to contractors. Not sure how I can use it!

It also states that
Quote:
HD-80 will remove even the most stubborn transparent, semi-transparent and semi-solid stains.
What exactly is a "semi solid" stain? Will it work on solid stains?
Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Where are you located? I will see if I have a contact near you. Semi solid cover the surface but allow some grain to shade through upon completion. Durastain by Wolmans is one.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Where are you located? I will see if I have a contact near you. Semi solid cover the surface but allow some grain to shade through upon completion. Durastain by Wolmans is one.
Close to Dayton, Ohio.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #9

Here is a source for Rip It which is very similar to HD 80
http://sunbrite.stores.yahoo.net/ripit.html
It comes in smaller containers for individual use. Just be sure to wear precaution clothing and eye protectors.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Here is a source for Rip It which is very similar to HD 80
http://sunbrite.stores.yahoo.net/ripit.html
It comes in smaller containers for individual use. Just be sure to wear precaution clothing and eye protectors.
I second the PPE. Wear a rain suit and pants, eye protection and gloves. I have been using HD80 and similar hydroxide products for years, but just recently got a small chemical burn on my arm from the product splashing.
HD80, rip and other similar products are great products and they do what they are intended to do, but you need to be careful and pay attention using those products. You'll have to netrakize-brighten after stripping. Citralic works pretty good for that.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #11

Looks like the company that makes RIP doesn't like DIY'ers using it either, but they will still sell the product to me.

It doesn't state it on the site, but I'm assuming I'll need to cover any plants near the deck when I use that product?

And another question - what are the pros and cons of using a sander versus using a product like RIP?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 268

The Flood Wood Stripper is a good product to remove prior finishes to a wood surface. There is also a Wood Cleaner (with oxalic acid- wood bleach), which will restore the wood to a natural finish for staining.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #13

I took a good look at my deck last night and looks like I need to sand it regardless. Apparently I got a little too close in some areas with the pressure washer and raised up some of the wood.

Curses. Ah well...that's what I get for pressure washing while the sun is going down.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #14

Rented a vibrating plate sander and just spent 4 hours sanding the deck. Got some of the stain off, but nowhere near what I was hoping. Looks like I'll need to go the chemical route after all.

Now to go over this thread again and figure out which product to use....
Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #15

Okey doke...after reading here and doing some more online research I ended up ordering a couple of jugs of Defy Wood Stripper. Should be here next week...I'll letcha all know how it goes!