Prepping Aluminum For Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 258

Prepping aluminum for painting

I'm going to paint my aluminum windows white. I was wondering what prep work should I do to it before applying primer/paint. Also, how do I prep the weather seal around the glass panes?

Advertisement

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

amount of prep depends on current condition: how old are they; have they already been painted; are they peeling or feathering; are they bare, never been touched?

No matter the response, the usual answer is wash (TSP) Rinse, and allow to dry. Depending on your location the weather may make all of that difficult right now. Typically prep & Finish would (both?) consist of an oil-based enamel. Some, such as Ben Moore's Low Luster "Ironclad" are self-priming finishes, but either way, from the wash onward, From that point on, it's going to vary drastically, depending on your reply to the above... and the below.

Also, I'm curious about what you mean by "weather seal?" Is it glazing, caulking, silicone, plastic/foam/brush weather stripping? What type of seal is it?
Please give more info, and I'll be happy to continue with a reply.
S

Advertisement

Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve30 View Post
amount of prep depends on current condition: how old are they; have they already been painted; are they peeling or feathering; are they bare, never been touched?

No matter the response, the usual answer is wash (TSP) Rinse, and allow to dry. Depending on your location the weather may make all of that difficult right now. Typically prep & Finish would (both?) consist of an oil-based enamel. Some, such as Ben Moore's Low Luster "Ironclad" are self-priming finishes, but either way, from the wash onward, From that point on, it's going to vary drastically, depending on your reply to the above... and the below.

Also, I'm curious about what you mean by "weather seal?" Is it glazing, caulking, silicone, plastic/foam/brush weather stripping? What type of seal is it?
Please give more info, and I'll be happy to continue with a reply.
S
It is the plastic weather seal that surrounds the pane. The windows still have the original black finish (faded) on them. Thanks you for the help.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

hi-- sorry it's been a couple of days.

I'd scruff them with fine sandpaper, just to give the new stuff a grip-- like, no coarser than 180, prob. 220 or 320 grit. Go light, you don't want to burr the plastic.

Wash, let dry, and then paint in either of the below options:

1) hit it with a grip-type exterior or interior/exterior primer. I'd use a Zinsser cover stain OR any exterior oil primer I had on-hand. Catch with thin plastic is that you should use something that has enough body to sit on top (i.e., not an "under stain" primer). Afterward, you can go over it with just about anything you want.

2) Conversely, you could hit it with Ben Moore's "Iron Clad", which is a self-priming paint, usually used on bare metal, but also suitable for an application like this. At a good-sized Moore dealer, you may even like the "Aluminum" pant in the same product line. Look for the "metal and wood enamels" brochure.
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote