Preparing Old Stairs And Windows - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Question

Preparing old stairs and windows

Not a job I've done before so any advice welcome please?

100+ year old 2 flight staircase to prep for painting and internal frame of 3 x big sash windows. Lots of layers of old paint on both and a fair few tacks and nails in the stairs.
Planning to use a heat gun to remove what I can (have correct mask), then pull tacks/nails and then sand with 120 and 180 mirka abranet fitted to a random orbital sander. The final finish is painted with a runner strip of carpet.

2 x 10 year old sash windows with only an undercoat (done when fitted) over almost rough sawn timber (home made by previous owner...). Poorly made but I can't afford to replace them just yet and despite the chunky size and dodgy glazing they seem weather tight so planning to sand as best I can, repaint and start saving for new ones. Planning to sand with 80, 120 then 180 mirka abranet also.

Do the two approaches sound about right? Any advice on primer? I've already got a nice tin of sikkens as top coat.

Thanks.

Advertisement

peardrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Make sure to use a low temp heat gun that doesn't exceed 1,100 degrees or you'll create dangerous fumes with the old lead paint.,

If your going to use an orbital sander, it really should be hooked up to a closed system HEPA vacuum to capture the dust and prevent airborne lead particles.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Many thanks, gun is 500 degree and had planned to hook the sander up to my karcher but i've checked the model and it wont take a hepa filter so will look into hiring/borrowing. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
peardrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remove paint , sanding