Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #1

Share |

prep and paint

I have a red wood sideing house that is pealing and have exposed wood. I woud like the best white hi glosse piant
teddybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

prep and paint

Bubba- you have a couple of big problems. Might require a good professional.
chrisn (04-23-2013), jsheridan (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

prep and paint

Might think about a solid stain like SW Woodscapes on redwood. Why are you aiming for a high gloss finish on an exterior?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

prep and paint

teddy, wanting to know what the "best" paint is, is the least of your problems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

prep and paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Might think about a solid stain like SW Woodscapes on redwood. Why are you aiming for a high gloss finish on an exterior?

full moon keep you awake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

prep and paint

Sounds like it is redwood that has already been painted? If so, be gentle with the scraping as it's very easy to damage redwood siding. Scrape and sand off as much of the old peeling paint that you can. Remove all dust and prime with an oil based primer..........redwood can "bleed" through some latex wood primers. Two topcoats of your favorite paint and you're done. Personally, I like SW's SuperPaint Satin. Not a big fan of HIGH GLOSS on wood siding that is beat up a bit. You might also consider the one coat coverage of SW's Duration. It is pricey and somewhat overrated IMO.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

prep and paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
full moon keep you awake?
Central building fire alarm went off and I could not get back to sleep.One of the negatives of highrise living.

Just thought a solid acrylic stain might be a better option than paint for this since it will go over exposed wood or previously painted. I too was concerned about the redwood bleeding through a primer. It is a soft wood and you can carve it up in hurry trying to scrape paint off of it. I have had great results with SW Woodscapes on wood siding. It is self-priming. You still have to get loose paint off and clean what remains though.

I don't understand the desire for gloss though. To achieve a gloss the OP is going to need a very nice, even, primer/underlay layer. Maybe something like Benjamin Moore Fresh Start-Alkyd?

Last edited by user1007; 04-23-2013 at 08:02 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #8

prep and paint

A high gloss finish will show any imperfections, especially if there is damaged wood.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

prep and paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Sounds like it is redwood that has already been painted? If so, be gentle with the scraping as it's very easy to damage redwood siding. Scrape and sand off as much of the old peeling paint that you can. Remove all dust and prime with an oil based primer..........redwood can "bleed" through some latex wood primers. Two topcoats of your favorite paint and you're done. Personally, I like SW's SuperPaint Satin. Not a big fan of HIGH GLOSS on wood siding that is beat up a bit. You might also consider the one coat coverage of SW's Duration. It is pricey and somewhat overrated IMO.

no way

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #10

prep and paint

Teddy,
Do as recommended above, gently scrape/sand to remove any loose paint, remove sanding dust, and yes, spot-prime the bare redwood with an oil prime or tannin-blocking primer. If you want to even out the surface so it doesn't look like the surface of the moon, apply Peel-Bond primer. for which, follow this link:
http://ximproducts.com/upload/pdfs/P...026%202012.pdf

It must be top-coated with an acrylic. This is a very useful undercoat if you are using a higher-sheen product.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

prep and paint

Quote:
no way
Chris, do you ever agree with anyone? Sheesh. If you read the rest of what I said, I stated that it is OVERRATED. It is a consideration if you don't want to apply 2 coats. One coat is easier for the DIYer IN SOME INSTANCES.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

prep and paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Chris, do you ever agree with anyone? Sheesh. If you read the rest of what I said, I stated that it is OVERRATED. It is a consideration if you don't want to apply 2 coats. One coat is easier for the DIYer IN SOME INSTANCES.

absolutely, when they are right. IN SOME INSTANCES

Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #13

prep and paint

Quote:
absolutely, when they are right. IN SOME INSTANCES
Old 04-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #14

prep and paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paint View Post
Teddy,
Do as recommended above, gently scrape/sand to remove any loose paint, remove sanding dust, and yes, spot-prime the bare redwood with an oil prime or tannin-blocking primer. If you want to even out the surface so it doesn't look like the surface of the moon, apply Peel-Bond primer. for which, follow this link:
http://ximproducts.com/upload/pdfs/P...026%202012.pdf

It must be top-coated with an acrylic. This is a very useful undercoat if you are using a higher-sheen product.
I have been reading up on this primer but have not used it yet. From your post I assume you have. Would you share the results.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote