Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Prep help for ready seal

Hi all,
My cedar deck is about a year old and 600 sqft. The spindles I used were "Deckoators" classic black. They're powder coated aluminum. Last year i put on Flood CWF-UV. I know, big mistake. I decided to strip it about a month ago. About an hour into the job I noticed something terrible. The stripper was eating the finish off my spindles. Not wanting to risk the rest of the spindles I got desperate. I sanded the entire deck using a floor sander with 60 grit paper. Palm sander on the railings and a detail sander for the nooks and cranies. Whole deck is back to bare wood. I have 7 gallons of the Readyseal natural cedar ready to go.
My questions are these:
1: Do I need to wait a few weeks to let the pores open back up before I seal?
2: Do I need to worry about the areas I couldn't sand, like in the gaps between the deck boards?
3: Is there a stripper that is safer to use on the coated spindles? I used Floods stripper thinking it would work best at removing it's own product.
4:Is there any other prep work thats needs to be done before I seal using the Readyseal?

Thanks for any advise anyone might have
Dan
Titan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
100 Year Family Tradition

Prep help for ready seal

Put up a pic of the deck you are speaking of, so I can a better look at the damage done. I will be able to help you muddle through to correct the mistakes.

I always use a pump sprayer or my zero orfice tip to pre-wet any landscaping, siding and rails that are prefinished. Try that next time. The 60 grit orbital sander was a great nono. You may have swirls on all your deck now.

If I have to sand the fuzzies off a deck a homeowner put a high spi to I always use the higher grits first then dial it closer to what I need. You started at ground zero it seems.

I can help more with pics. I do not want to give out some wild advice...
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote