Prep After Getting Trim Up - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
self help

Rewards Points: 25

prep after getting trim up

What should I do about the miter angles and nail holes???

I have 1x4 flat S4S trim, I've heard caulk, putty, drywall mud etc. Whats best? Im going to be priming then painting the trim, not staining?

Thanks

Advertisement

bigjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painters caulk.

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjon View Post
What should I do about the miter angles and nail holes???

I have 1x4 flat S4S trim, I've heard caulk, putty, drywall mud etc. Whats best? Im going to be priming then painting the trim, not staining?

Thanks
Caulk the mitres, caulk the trim along the wall or ceiling. Fill nail holes with painters putty or glazing. When you buy caulking...make certain it is latex and not silicone. Silicone caulk is not paintable.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

After you have patched the nailheads and sanded them smooth, caulked with a high-quality acrylic, you need a good quality enamel undercoat (There are many good lates enamel undercoats). This primer has a higher build and will sand to a smooth surface. Finish with 2 coats of a compatible enamel finish, either satin or semi-gloss.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 672

Always faster to prime and paint the trim before it even gets cut or installed.
No cutting in , no paint on the walls, only have to touch up the mitres and nail holes.
When installing casing I start with the top piece first, set the side in place and nail through the top and and outside, then work my way down. The most important part is to have the mitre tight.
I use Alex Ultra 230 caulking it does not crack like cheap painters putty.
If you use painters puddy to fill the nail holes there is no sanding or shrinking.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

I use crawfords lightweight spackle. Although many products will let you get away with no sanding, I can always see a little tiny divet where the nails are and it drives me mad so I like to patch using an itty bit more material then needed and then sand with 220 grit on a sanding block making the nail holes completely disappear. Then as stated caulk edges and miters with a good caulking, 35 year alex plus or DAP. Good primer, another light sand and 2 coats of finish. (I prefer Satin finish for almost everything.)
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

And I never pre do trim-
After installed, I prime, then fill holes ( Putty if you don't care if they're totally filled- spackcle if you do) sand all, caulk to wall ( which if you prefinished you would need to paint anyway- not ever just 'touch up"), all joints. 2 coats finish. Since i finish wood before walls- i don't worry about getting paint on walls, finishing the walls will make the clean lines.

I think unless you are in an unfinished space , to handle the loose trim , do on sawhorses or whatever is a very big hassle. And doesn't give as nice a finished product anyway.

jmo
bigjon (02-08-2012), chrisn (02-08-2012), jsheridan (02-08-2012), ltd (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 672

I can cut a whole 8 hour day off of the finish painting on a whole house, just by painting the walls with no trim and prepainting the trim. In my little world time is money.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

you still need to paint your caulk line though eh?
conspikuous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conspikuous For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-07-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Always faster to prime and paint the trim before it even gets cut or installed.
No cutting in , no paint on the walls, only have to touch up the mitres and nail holes.
When installing casing I start with the top piece first, set the side in place and nail through the top and and outside, then work my way down. The most important part is to have the mitre tight.
I use Alex Ultra 230 caulking it does not crack like cheap painters putty.
If you use painters puddy to fill the nail holes there is no sanding or shrinking.

?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
self help

looks like consensus is spackle for the nail holes and caulk for the miters... and caulk to the walls. A few miters are off by about 1-2/16's should I fill the gap with caulk and smooth with a finger or spackle then caulk?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

From your opening thread I am assuming the trim is bare wood rather then pre-primed. If the is indeed the case ensure to prime before applying caulking. Otherwise the caulking will eventually separate from the bare wood.
CB Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspikuous View Post
you still need to paint your caulk line though eh?
This is a regular back and forth routine.

Jon, I'll second the use of spackle for holes, after priming if bare wood. I use lightweight vinyl spackle, not vinyl spackle, but lvs. Overfill the holes and sand, you're killing two birds, doing the normal after priming sand and smoothing the spackle. Caulk all joints. The problem with using spackle in joints is that it cracks in time. Do the best you can with the caulk to mask imperfect joints. As to caulk, I've never had much luck with Alex brand, just MO. I use one of the paint cos line of siliconized blends, not silicone, siliconized. I stay away from "painters" caulk.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
bigjon (02-08-2012), titanoman (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #14
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
This is a regular back and forth routine.

Jon, I'll second the use of spackle for holes, after priming if bare wood. I use lightweight vinyl spackle, not vinyl spackle, but lvs. Overfill the holes and sand, you're killing two birds, doing the normal after priming sand and smoothing the spackle. Caulk all joints. The problem with using spackle in joints is that it cracks in time. Do the best you can with the caulk to mask imperfect joints. As to caulk, I've never had much luck with Alex brand, just MO. I use one of the paint cos line of siliconized blends, not silicone, siliconized. I stay away from "painters" caulk.
I agree. I don't like Alex caulk and I also use a siliconized acrylic blend of paintable caulk.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
self help

what I have at the house does say siliconized... which made me ? It seems like its beaten to death not to use silicone, now I feel safe.

What I have is already pre primed. So I'll carry on as plan, again thanks for the help everyone. My house is tore up! Gotta get it back together

Advertisement