Pratt & Lambert Primer; Rounded Corners; Ceilings - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pratt & lambert primer; rounded corners; ceilings

Hello, I have a few of questions about primer and rounded corners I hope someone can advise me on.

We just relocated and will be moving into a newly constructed home at the end of March. The builder of course painted all of the walls with a cheap builder’s grade white paint. I've not selected the colors, but I'm certain we will use Pratt & Lambert Accolades again. We used it in our last home and were very pleased with the quality of paint and the colors.

1. The surface will probably be pretty porous since it is new drywall with just a couple of coats of cheap builders grade paint; I’m thinking a primer is in order. Has anyone used P&L's primer? Would you recommend it or another brand?

2. The new construction has rounded corners. a) How the heck do you know where to end one color and begin the next? It is a matter of personal taste? is there a painter;s "rule" on where to end one color and begin the next? Also, any tips on getting a really clean line between the two colors on a rounded corner?

3. IMO the hallmark of a true Pro is the quality of his/her ceiling. I've seen pros who could cut-in so clean you would swear they taped; yet they couldn't turn out a decent ceiling if their life depended on it. Ceilings are just plain tough! So any tips on ceiling will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Advertisement

colorcazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

There is a very cool tool available online called the blendmate. You can blend the rounded corners with it -- very slick. Straight lines are very difficult to get clean and straight on textured walls and you have to live with colors clashing when they are next to each other. Here is a link to the video on their site edited link

Whenever trying to "cut in" an interior corner, it helps if the corner is straight. I usually caulk the corner with painter’s caulking, then remove the excess with a wet finger. The line will never look straight unless the corner is smooth and straight.

Advertisement

Last edited by slickshift; 02-25-2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: edited link
outsideart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

P&L primer is fine. I'm going to assume you want a higher quality primer if you are using the premium line of paint. You'll most likely want to use SuPrime 100% acrylic primer. It's stain blocking, high hiding, and has good flow. It's better than Zinsser 1-2-3 in my opinion, though it's adhesion to glossy surfaces might not be quite as good.

As for getting a clean line on the rounded corner, you can tape it with a good masking tape, usually the blue ones. Then put a little bit of either acrylic clear coat or the same paint as the first color you painted, over the edge of the tape to seal the edge to the wall. Then paint with your second color. When you pull the tape it should leave a pretty straight line since you sealed the edge against any leaks.
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote