Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pratt & Lambert Accolade vs Benjamin Moore Ben

My neighbourhood paint stores have Pratt & Lambert's Accolade and Benjamin Moore's Ben. Which one is better for a condo living room and bedroom?

Most people recommend BM Aura or Regal over other paints but not much has been said about BM's Ben paint line. The few reviews for P&L Accolade are all positive.

As a first time DIY painter I'm looking for any recommendations/suggestions.

Last edited by DIYneophyte; 08-31-2012 at 09:55 AM.
DIYneophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ben is a fine paint. I will use the higher priced spreads where ultimate wash is needed or for hard to cover colors- but Ben was made to go head to head with Behr- and Win!
Accolade used to be a great paint- now owned by SW and i haven't used it in a long time.
I think you would be good with either.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

I sell P&L Never had any issues with Accolade interior products. They cover extremely well and are very durable. Exterior is about the same but we have some issues with the Ext. SG sagging out because it's so thin. It's one of those products that you have to have the right technique for, just like Aura.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

This is their newest paint and I could not be more pleased. First let me tell you that this is the first time in more than 3 decades that I've decided to try painting. I tell you that to illustrate that I'm not a pro, and if I can do it, almost anyone can. The master bedroom was a very deep and dark brownish red.......and the color I chose to paint over it was Coastal Path, a very light tan. This amazing paint covered perfectly in one single coat. That means half the labor of prime and paint, or 1/3 the labor of prime, 1 coat and then second coat. ONE COAT! I started one morning but the skies turned dark and I had to stop for the day because I couldn't see what I was doing. No problem at all picking up where I left off. I also chose to use the matte finish instead of eggshell that is more reflective and shows more flaws. It is absolutely perfect and well worth the price because of the coverage you get. It took one gallon to paint a 15 x 15 room with 9' ceilings, thee doors and 3 windows. No splatters, no drips, no runs.

I got to try a free sample of this paint because I am a BzzAgent. That sample has made me a fan for life!
deziner124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by deziner124 View Post
This is their newest paint and I could not be more pleased. First let me tell you that this is the first time in more than 3 decades that I've decided to try painting. I tell you that to illustrate that I'm not a pro, and if I can do it, almost anyone can. The master bedroom was a very deep and dark brownish red.......and the color I chose to paint over it was Coastal Path, a very light tan. This amazing paint covered perfectly in one single coat. That means half the labor of prime and paint, or 1/3 the labor of prime, 1 coat and then second coat. ONE COAT! I started one morning but the skies turned dark and I had to stop for the day because I couldn't see what I was doing. No problem at all picking up where I left off. I also chose to use the matte finish instead of eggshell that is more reflective and shows more flaws. It is absolutely perfect and well worth the price because of the coverage you get. It took one gallon to paint a 15 x 15 room with 9' ceilings, thee doors and 3 windows. No splatters, no drips, no runs.

I got to try a free sample of this paint because I am a BzzAgent. That sample has made me a fan for life!
You did not say which paint but I assume you meant Ben because Accolade has been around for quite awhile.

And again, covering in one coat only diyers seek. Painters know you need two coats---even if one covers---to get a decent film thickness and often consistent sheen.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accolade, benjamin moore, paint brands, pratt and lambert