Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Share |

Powered painting equipment

I will be repainting my house (once purchased *fingers crossed*) and am looking for any advice on powered painting tools. I did some snooping via Google and got very mixed reviews on powered rollers and brushes and I don't think a sprayer is really the way to go for interior painting (or is it?) Has anyone used one recently and able to recommend a good product or at least some to avoid? All told I will be painting 8 - 12 rooms (1800 SF +/-) ranging in size from 5x5 to 16x13 plus a couple closets (under rafter, about 5x5.)

Reviews I have read are either completely glowing or very harsh and all mention the absurd clean-up times involved with the systems.

Thanks.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Yippee! A toy discussion!

Seriously, stay away from those power rollers and cutesy Wagner sprayer things. They are generally a noisy mess and in my opinion are a total waste of money unless you just want to slop on paint. You will find that with quality tools you go just as fast cutting and rolling the way most of us still do most painting.

I don't do much spraying because it does not fit my projects (takes longer to mask everything in old houses than it does to paint) and I don't like it at all for anything with much color. But, if you are painting all of your interior the same light color and can easily mask everything you don't want to paint I would definitely consider it as an option. It is fast.

Rent good quality spray equipment with the correct nozzles though (do not be tempted by the cheap $200 units dressed up to look real at box stores) and hope the last person using it cleaned it properly or you will have a constant fight on your hands. The cost of buying a nice spray set-up is probably beyond justification for just one pass at your house interior.

Last edited by user1007; 10-01-2009 at 03:26 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

I would agree with sdester. Years ago I had an expensive power roller system and can remember asking myself why anyone would waste so much time with manual feed rollers. But then I replaced the lost equipment with one of less quality from Home Depot. right out of the box, the paint simply squirted out unevenly and then clogged. You cannot use cheap equipment for painting. Same goes with the paint. Avoid cheap paint.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #4

thanks! =D
Old 10-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
an aspiring guru

If you do opt for a sprayer you can often rent one for the weekend or week, depending on your location. They do use more paint than cutting and rolling, but can make the job go quicker. I find they are often a good option when you need to paint your ceilings. But, like it was already mentioned, you will need to mask and cover just about everything.

And, like mentioned, buy some decent paint. If you have a Brod-dugan or sherwin williams store nearby get your paint from there. You'll pay more, but you will get much higher quality there over the big box stores (l*wes, H*me Dep*t). Remember, the better the paint, the easier time you will have applying it, and the longer it will last for you. YOU are the one that will have to look at the walls every day, so try to aviod going cheap. ...sorry for bashing the box stores, but I've had numerous bad experiences with the paint they sell.

Good luck!
mradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #6

yeah, i did some exterior painting one summer when i was in school and we had a big sprayer so im all to aware of how much masking is required, especially inside.

for paint - how does porter paint compare to sherwin-williams?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
an aspiring guru

I couldn't personally say about porter paints, never used them. Someone else on here likely has, though.
mradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Porter paint is fine.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Remodeler

My guys use paint sprayers in New Construction only (i.e. when there is no furniture, flooring, etc. to worry about).

In other cases, they just use plain old rollers to do ceilings. Of course, they are pros and able to work quickly and accurately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
residential
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
KlintP is offline   Reply With Quote