Which Power Tool Painting Several Apartments - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Which power tool painting several apartments

Hi,

I own a couple of apartment buildings and I need to repaint (white on white) apartments all the time. I either hire someone or just do it myself. I thought that it might be a good investment for me to buy some kind of power tool to make painting an entire apartment much faster and easier. Any recommendations on what I can get to speed things up?

Thanks!

Advertisement

greendot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,214

paint sprayer?

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,272

By the time you mask off windows and doors, mask off trim, set everything up, get the sprayer primed and ready to go, add in clean-up time, well, you would have the apartments done by simply rolling and brushing. Sprayers provide very little "magic" for a couple of apts. I've done apts. for 35 years the old-fashioned way, and, believe me it CAN be much faster just brushing and rolling.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendot View Post
Hi,

I own a couple of apartment buildings and I need to repaint (white on white) apartments all the time. I either hire someone or just do it myself. I thought that it might be a good investment for me to buy some kind of power tool to make painting an entire apartment much faster and easier. Any recommendations on what I can get to speed things up?

Thanks!
Hi - unless you are VERY good with a sprayer, that would probably end up more work. I would look into a power roller system. My Spraytech airless paint sprayer has a roller attachment were just squeezing the trigger on the handle reloads the roller. That way you aren't going back and forth to a tray. Downside is you need to buy rollers with a perforated core, generally pricey. Cleanup would be similar to an airless paint spraying system.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-24-2011)
Old 09-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi - unless you are VERY good with a sprayer, that would probably end up more work. I would look into a power roller system. My Spraytech airless paint sprayer has a roller attachment were just squeezing the trigger on the handle reloads the roller. That way you aren't going back and forth to a tray. Downside is you need to buy rollers with a perforated core, generally pricey. Cleanup would be similar to an airless paint spraying system.
Maybe I should attempt to rent one first. If I like it I will get one.

I bought a ryobi dovet system or whatever they call it. I tried it for 20 min but it just sucked. It was way to weak. didn't save me any time
Old 09-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Maybe I should attempt to rent one first. If I like it I will get one.

I bought a ryobi dovet system or whatever they call it. I tried it for 20 min but it just sucked. It was way to weak. didn't save me any time

Hi - Renting is a pretty good option if you can get it. Rental joints around me either quit renting them or got them priced so high you may as well buy one. Talking to one guy he said the problem was people bring 'em back still full of paint, from yesterday or day before sometimes. Cleaning the things out like that was wiping out any profit margin they had on 'em.
Not sure what you mean by "to weak", I assume it wasn't able to pump enough paint to you.
The system I've got is substantially more money but I have an airless sprayer similar to this one:
http://www.gleempaint.com/xt250recon.html

and I picked up this accessory for it:
http://www.gleempaint.com/tr9-roller.html

I was thinking something like this might work for you but it looks an awful lot like the Duet you had
http://www.gleempaint.com/power-roller-990-pro.html

That accessory I have for mine just screws on the end of the spray gun where the nozzle goes. To feed the roller you just give the trigger a quick squeeze. It does take some getting used to and not to good in tight areas but for knocking out relatively large, flat areas it works pretty good.
Good luck

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi - Renting is a pretty good option if you can get it. Rental joints around me either quit renting them or got them priced so high you may as well buy one. Talking to one guy he said the problem was people bring 'em back still full of paint, from yesterday or day before sometimes. Cleaning the things out like that was wiping out any profit margin they had on 'em.
Not sure what you mean by "to weak", I assume it wasn't able to pump enough paint to you.
The system I've got is substantially more money but I have an airless sprayer similar to this one:
http://www.gleempaint.com/xt250recon.html

and I picked up this accessory for it:
http://www.gleempaint.com/tr9-roller.html

I was thinking something like this might work for you but it looks an awful lot like the Duet you had
http://www.gleempaint.com/power-roller-990-pro.html

That accessory I have for mine just screws on the end of the spray gun where the nozzle goes. To feed the roller you just give the trigger a quick squeeze. It does take some getting used to and not to good in tight areas but for knocking out relatively large, flat areas it works pretty good.
Good luck
My local HD rents them out. I'll give it a shot. I actually like to cover everything in white so I was thinking that even if I'm not a world class sprayer, I will only need to cover the floors, (the apartments are empty between tenants) and then spray away.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
My local HD rents them out. I'll give it a shot. I actually like to cover everything in white so I was thinking that even if I'm not a world class sprayer, I will only need to cover the floors, (the apartments are empty between tenants) and then spray away.
And the windows, doors ,cabs, woodwork, do you paint the ceiling with the same paint?
You will find theres more to it than you think.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

As a home owner.DIY'r, I have a power roller. But when I learned how to roll paint here, I haven't had it back out of the box. It's heavy and after an hour or so you will want to take a break. Like I read here, 'if they were that good, why don't you see paint contractors using them?'
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeKy55 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
As a home owner.DIY'r, I have a power roller. But when I learned how to roll paint here, I haven't had it back out of the box. It's heavy and after an hour or so you will want to take a break. Like I read here, 'if they were that good, why don't you see paint contractors using them?'

Good point about the power rollers - I also got one and returned it the same day. I think my only option is the airless spray or regular rollers. You do see contractros using the sprayer. Not many but some...
Old 09-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks!

I've got a Wagner PaintMate that I've used when I've had a LOT of interior painting to do. I really like how much area I can cover, and how quickly. It's also not particularly heavy, and the handle is actually like having an extension on the roller.

What I don't like about it is that it's harder to get a good, even coat of paint down. The squeeze trigger is a little touchy, making it "feast or famine" on the amount of paint that's in the roller.

Anymore, I primarily use it for rolling on primer. I prefer a regular roller for putting on the paint.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
I've actually seen "professionals" using everything from sprayers to brushes. For exterior painting, some guys spray then roll the paint in, others spray then brush it in, some will only use brushes, etc.

Some professionals are professionals only because they get paid for what they do. It doesn't necessarily mean I should copy what they're doing.

You've gotta do what works for you, and what gives you the best results.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Greendot, the amount of time going to get it/returning it, setting it up/cleaning it out, masking everything out (as brushjockey pointed out)/removing all the mask, figuring out how best to work it, and then fixing the globs you're likely to get, will really make it not worthwhile. And then there's the rental cost. If it was productive, pros would be giving you the go ahead. If they're not willing to do it, you shouldn't either. If you're painting the whole apartment with the same paint (walls and ceilings), get a three inch brush and cut the whole apartment in at once, don't cut and roll, cut and roll, brush everything out first. Then get an 18 x 1/2 inch roller, in addition to the nine x 1/2 for the small areas, and go to town rolling the whole place out at once. When you're cutting in, take the ladder into one corner and cut everything from the ceiling down to the light switch level from the ladder, then move the ladder, repeat all the way around to where you started. Then get down on the floor and cut everything up to the light switch around the room until you return to your starting corner. Do the room in two halves, top and bottom, no up and down, up and down. If you work smart and consistently, you'll have the room done sooner than you would with a sprayer, trust me.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (09-25-2011), Gymschu (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Greendot, the amount of time going to get it/returning it, setting it up/cleaning it out, masking everything out (as brushjockey pointed out)/removing all the mask, figuring out how best to work it, and then fixing the globs you're likely to get, will really make it not worthwhile. And then there's the rental cost. If it was productive, pros would be giving you the go ahead. If they're not willing to do it, you shouldn't either. If you're painting the whole apartment with the same paint (walls and ceilings), get a three inch brush and cut the whole apartment in at once, don't cut and roll, cut and roll, brush everything out first. Then get an 18 x 1/2 inch roller, in addition to the nine x 1/2 for the small areas, and go to town rolling the whole place out at once. When you're cutting in, take the ladder into one corner and cut everything from the ceiling down to the light switch level from the ladder, then move the ladder, repeat all the way around to where you started. Then get down on the floor and cut everything up to the light switch around the room until you return to your starting corner. Do the room in two halves, top and bottom, no up and down, up and down. If you work smart and consistently, you'll have the room done sooner than you would with a sprayer, trust me.
Incredible advice! Thanks jsheridan!

Two things:

1. when you say cut I am assuming you mean to use the brush for edges/perimeter?
  2. where do I get an 18" roller???? never seen one of those. Amazing to hear they exist.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

1- yes
2 - Almost anywhere- I personally like Wooster 1/2 superfabs- usually at a bm dealer.
You will need a wide boy bucket and a special frame.

Advertisement