DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Powder room refresh/ painting -- toilet tank question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  whataboutj 
#1 ·
I am going to refresh our small powder room (6'L x 3'W) (new vanity, sink, faucet, lighting, & paint). The toilet is about 3/4 to 1 inch from the wall and will be difficult (probably impossible) to get behind to paint the wall. Is it safe to assume I need to shut off the water and disconnect the tank from the bowl before I paint? I can't seem to figure out any other way to paint the wall behind the tank without disconnecting it.

Sorry if this is an obvious question - I just want to make sure I'm doing it right the first time.

Thanks in advance
J

#2 ·
You can do one of two things. Remove the lid and paint as far back as you can with a brush. Now stand back and see if you can see any unpainted surface. Odds are that is the way it was painted originally.

Second option is a wizzie/cigar roller. That will usually get back behind there.

#3 ·
You can do one of two things. Remove the lid and paint as far back as you can with a brush. Now stand back and see if you can see any unpainted surface. Odds are that is the way it was painted originally.

Second option is a wizzie/cigar roller. That will usually get back behind there.
Thanks for the reply. I did look behind the tank and whoever did the last paint job definitely just removed the lid and painted behind it -- they actually did a terrible job getting behind it and I still couldn't tell until I got right up to it. That is definitely how I will do it. Thanks again
J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.