Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Is it possible to stain these birch kitchen cabinets dark brown?

I'm in the process of remodeling my first home (a small condo), and it has the generic birch cabinets you see if all the apartments around here. They're in very good condition, and I'd like to know if it'd be possible to stain them a dark brown. If so, what does the process entail? Doing it myself, how long do you think it would take, and what would you estimate the supplies would cost?

Joe Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 302

Your best bet in my opinion would be to replace the doors and drawer fronts and reface the frames. Re staining the existing cabinets could turn out ok, or could be disastrous. Unless you are going to sand down everything and stain it. If you are thinking of putting some kind of stain over the top of those cabinets there are lots of things to consider. Depending on the type of finish they currently have, if you were to put another stain or poly over the top, the two could react and turn into a bubbly soft mess. There's really no way to tell what could happen. Refacing would be your best bet. You can go to refacedepot.com and price out your doors, drawer fronts and supplies all online.

taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Would you consider painting....

Espresso/java brown is a very popular color around here..... spraying obviously is your best option.... but "transformations" has decent leveling if you decide to brush.
Gymschu (08-09-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
Your best bet in my opinion would be to replace the doors and drawer fronts and reface the frames. Re staining the existing cabinets could turn out ok, or could be disastrous. Unless you are going to sand down everything and stain it. If you are thinking of putting some kind of stain over the top of those cabinets there are lots of things to consider. Depending on the type of finish they currently have, if you were to put another stain or poly over the top, the two could react and turn into a bubbly soft mess. There's really no way to tell what could happen. Refacing would be your best bet. You can go to refacedepot.com and price out your doors, drawer fronts and supplies all online.
Not sure what the opinion of Ikea stuff is here, but if I were to spend the money to do that, I'd likely just replace everything. I was hoping with a color change and some nice pulls I could transform the look for a fairly low amount of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Would you consider painting....

Espresso/java brown is a very popular color around here..... spraying obviously is your best option.... but "transformations" has decent leveling if you decide to brush.
I've never considered it, but if that's a professional option, absolutely. I really hate the look of brushed paint, seems you can always see the brush strokes. I'm painting the entire condo and replacing the floors, so would spraying be an option for me?
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Sure.... Condo's empty....
Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #6

You have a ballpark of what that costs? I'll be looking into it for sure
Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,230

About $75 per gallon at Lowe's:

Not sure what someone would charge in your area to do the spraying. A spray unit can be rented by the day at your local paint/rental store.
Attached Images

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,498

Have to ask since Ikea Has been known as swedish for particle board. Are you sure they are wood? Not particle board with a contact paper like product bonded to it. I have been told they now have real wood cabinets but if these are older they could be the PB.

If they are the particle board type you can't stain them. You can paint them but you will need a really good bonding primer. Sometimes it is hard to tell these cabinets apart.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

If they are real wood with a lacquered finish, they could be toned. Cabinet finishers, and some painters can spray toned lacquer right over the existing finish, giving the cabinets an even stained look. A lot of modern furniture is toned that way.

Toning is probably not a DIY job. It takes some real skill with the sprayer to get a nice even job. A cabinet shop in your area might offer that service.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
About $75 per gallon at Lowe's:

Not sure what someone would charge in your area to do the spraying. A spray unit can be rented by the day at your local paint/rental store.
I looked at that stuff at Home Depot yesterday, but all I saw was the kit to turn dark cabinets light. It's possible they were out of the kit I'd need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Have to ask since Ikea Has been known as swedish for particle board. Are you sure they are wood? Not particle board with a contact paper like product bonded to it. I have been told they now have real wood cabinets but if these are older they could be the PB.

If they are the particle board type you can't stain them. You can paint them but you will need a really good bonding primer. Sometimes it is hard to tell these cabinets apart.
The cabinets I have aren't Ikea. I was saying that for the cost of new wood fronts, I'd likely replace everything with Ikea
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Link For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-09-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,538

look at all building supply stores (not home depot, lowes, etc) in your area. completely replacing them could be affordable for you. you will get a much better result. AND you would know exacctly what you are getting.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
look at all building supply stores (not home depot, lowes, etc) in your area. completely replacing them could be affordable for you. you will get a much better result. AND you would know exacctly what you are getting.
Thanks, that's probably the way to go.