DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Porter Paint vs. Sherwin Williams vs. Benjamin Moore

86K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jeffnc 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to compare Porter Paints, Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore? I've used all of them now and again, and of course they all claim to be the best of the bunch. In fact, I think they are all very good, but am looking for the best bang for the buck. For you professional painters out there, I'm curious your opinion.

Also, as far as interior latex paints go, I'd also like to know what type compares to what type, e.g. Is Porter Hi-Hide = Sherwin Williams Promark 200 = Benjamin Moore Super Spec? I can't remember what the names are of their higher grade stuff, it's too late in the day!

Thanks for any input you have,

An Illini in Cincinnati :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Can anyone tell me how to compare Porter Paints, Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore?
Comparisons can be difficult, because they all have their cheaper paints, their middle of the road paints, and their top grade paints. One guy says that Brand X is junk, and another guy says brand X is great. The first guy bought their low end product, the second guy bought their top end product.

I am in the middle of painting the interior of a house from top to bottom. Mostly using Benjamin Moore Aura, which is their top end paint. Dang expensive, but has high solids so goes on very smooth and hides well. (Do not over-brush, it will self level.) Probably the other guys make something just as good, but the BM store is just around the corner from me.

#10 ·
Comparisons can be difficult, because they all have their cheaper paints, their middle of the road paints, and their top grade paints. One guy says that Brand X is junk, and another guy says brand X is great. The first guy bought their low end product, the second guy bought their top end product.

That is it in a nutshell. Most paint manufactures have coatings that are extra cheap [quality wise] and paint that is pretty good along with some in the middle. IMO Glidden messed up when they started selling their cheapest paint at the big box store. Many folks only experience that line of paint and think all of Glidden's paint is poor quality. Like most, they also sell some good quality coatings.

Customer service can vary a lot between individual stores.

#12 ·
Can anyone tell me how to compare Porter Paints, Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore?
People ask this sort of question all the time, and really it makes no sense. It's like asking which is a better car, Ford or Chevrolet? Well guess what, there is no such thing as a "Ford" car. There is a "Ford Fiesta", that is an actual car. You can only compare actual cars. So if you've got a Chevy Corvette and a Ford Fiesta, which do you think is gonna win?

Likewise, there is no such thing as "Sherwin Williams" paint. There is only paint that is a specific line. They all make good paint, and they all make crap paint.

#2 ·
I use Porter Paints almost exclusively anymore. Their HiHide line is fantastic; coverage, workability, and easily touched up without flashing. They also make a washable flat paint in the Silken Touch line. SW's Promar line is comparable to Porter's Promaster line which is a decent contractor grade paint, but easier to work with (IMO). Whatever you do, please stay away from the Behr!

#4 ·
Mostly Ben Moore here also
Wouldn't have a problem using SW though, I just prefer Ben Moore
I'm sure I've used Porter, but don't remember specifics about it
If it was bad or way better I'd have remembered, so I don't think you could go wrong with any you've mentioned

#6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help! I am pretty sold on Porter because of the good service that they have given me in the past, including the local store manager coming out to my house 2x to solve a problem that my painter (one I would never hire again) left me with. Recently I have found out that as member of the local Real Estate Investment Association, I can get a better discount with Sherwin Williams. Sounds like transitioning over to SW should be no problem.

Anyone know what is SW's equivalent to the Porter Silken Touch Flat?

#8 ·
I prefer Porter by far the paint the price as well as the customer service , if you need anything they are there they will even make a trip to your job if necessary and on time as well . I have had several issues with sherwin Williams paint and the customer service in the Panama City area and most Florida locations .

#11 ·
Honestly, these are all good enough I think other things need to be considered like which is the closest to your house or does one seem to have better employees than another at the locations you frequent. I used to use Ben Moore but I moved and the SWP store was a lot closer to the new house so I switched.

#16 · (Edited)
I use Behr paint exclusively. Best I have used. Always covers in one coat. But I'm no pro and hate painting. We just finished painting most of our house.
Looks great though and I am very good with a brush. I do the trim. My wife rolls.
Ha well usually it's the "worst I have ever used", and whenever I hear that I complain about that too. If you think this is the best paint you've ever used, there are a few you've missed :)

But again, there is no such thing as "Behr paint". It depends on which one you get. There is no way their lower priced paint always goes on in one coat.

Speaking of Home Depot paints, I have had good success with single coats of PPG Timeless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.