Porch - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Porch

I need some help on painting my porch deck railing.... Need some tips! Also needed help painting my front door black to a different color to match my pink siding to my house.. It doesn't match.. I'm so duh about colors... Thanks.
Attached Images

Advertisement

deb789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Porch

It looks like the railing is new and not treated? I ask because if it is treated, and depending on the treatment, you may not be able to finish it for 6 months or so. Assuming it is good to go...

You might consider using a quality solid color stain instead of paint. Sherwin Williams Woodscapes Acrylic (water based) would be my choice and you can have it tinted to any color. It does not require a primer although you may want to shellac knot holes, etc. I think they are running a sale now too.

If you decide to paint it, you will need to seal/prime the wood first. I would use Benjamin Moore Fresh Start Alkyd (oil-based) primer but a quality latex acrylic bonding primer would work too. Follow with two coats of quality exterior paint finish.

Painting will go fairly fast with a thick nap mini-roller and a nice angled sash brush. Sometimes doing the posts a different shade or color can add a lot of character for very little effort.

I think we need more information about the front door. What is it made of and is it painted now or is the color in fiberglass or something? If painted do you know what with? There is a glass storm door in front of it? I know you do not like the color but is the finish on the door holding up alright? Some times the space between storm doors and entry doors can get savagely hot.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Porch

What the best Deck stain to get? Where can i purchase it?
deb789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Porch

Why are you looking for deck stain? Isn't that concrete I see in the photo? As mentioned, Sherwin Williams Woodscapes Acrylic would be a good choice for a solid color stain for the railing.

I don't think a semi-transparent stain will look good for the railing since it is so close to the house. If you must, I guess Cabot's or Sickkens would be good choices.

Just stay away from box store products.

Last edited by user1007; 07-20-2012 at 05:09 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote