Popcorn Removal Costs - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

popcorn removal costs

I'm a new member and live in Florida. My house, approx. 2500 sf, was built in 1980 and has 6 rooms, all popcorn ceilings. I want to remove the popcorn and would like to get an idea of the cost per sf. Any help out there?

Advertisement

frapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

popcorn removal costs

Costs will depend on several things. When we remove popcorn we usually look at three things. One, how high are the ceilings. We have done rooms with 8' ceilings and we have done entire churches with 18' ceilings. Clearly the higher the eiling the greater the price. Also, is the room furnished? This is a very messy job. If you are to hire someone I would reccomend that you be sure they either move out the furniture or cover anything and everything with plastic- even the walls.

You will often find that after taking down the popcorn you end up finding all the imperfections in the plaster board/drywall. Basically you are taking the risk of realizing that what hides inderneath the popcorn is no better looking than the popcorn itself. My personall opinion is to apply a knockdown texture to the ceilings therafter you have removed the popcorn. It will give you texture, depth, aswell as hide any nperfections that may exist.

If you were here in Minnesota and your house had 8 foot ceilings and was not funrished I would tape and plastic every surface and remove all the waste. When finished we would perform a good cleaning throughout the home. We would charge around $1.05-1.70 for this.

If you are capable I would reccomen DIY. It is very simple. It just takes some time.

Good Luck!

Advertisement

MC Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MC Handyman For This Useful Post:
frapie (12-08-2010)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

popcorn removal costs

Be sure to have the ceiling tested for the presence of asbestos before doing any removal. Homes built in the early 80s are suspect.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #4

Thumbs up

popcorn removal costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
Be sure to have the ceiling tested for the presence of asbestos before doing any removal. Homes built in the early 80s are suspect.
Good Point!
MC Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

popcorn removal costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Handyman View Post
Good Point!
This is due to the overstock of popcorn texture.

here is my blog on popcorn removal.
Never hire a handyman to do texture unless they use spray rig, otherwise it looks like crap.

http://howtoremovepopcorn.com
stoner529 is offline   Reply With Quote