Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #1

Share |

popcorn removal

I attempted to start removing my popcorn from the ceiling the other day and it did not go as i thought it would. It basically didnt go at all. I tried wetting it down and i mixed fabric softener in the water and still no luck. I am not sure if the ceilings have ever been painted. Any ideas?

sflamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
Pro Painter

popcorn removal

Sounds like it may be painted. Are you using plenty of water?

If it were my job, I'd use a wide drywall knife and just scrape the loose material so the exposed compound can absorb water.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

popcorn removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflamedic View Post
I attempted to start removing my popcorn from the ceiling the other day and it did not go as i thought it would. It basically didnt go at all. I tried wetting it down and i mixed fabric softener in the water and still no luck. I am not sure if the ceilings have ever been painted. Any ideas?
He's what we do when old ceiling texture want co-operate.

2" screws and 3/8" Sheetrock,....go over all of it, tape and sand = new ceilings!
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

popcorn removal

Fabric softener?

Anyway....

How big an area is this?
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM   #5

popcorn removal

yes fabric softener. I read all over that it helps and others have also told me the same thing. I am eventually doing my whole house, but right now its one bedroom.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

popcorn removal

Well, if the sprayed water didn't even start to turn the popcorn into goo, then it's probably painted
The question is, how much and how tough is the paint

I would take a small test area, and try and scrape or knock off some of the texture
If that works and can expose some unpainted texture, then try and soak the exposed area so the moisture sinks in as joewho described
Leave out the fabric softener though...just water
It'll be messy enough if it works

This should at least give you an idea if it's feasible to even consider the process on the rest of the room, and the rest of the house, or whether you should consider re-rocking, or Atlantic's over-rocking
Old 02-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #7

popcorn removal

what do you mean atlantics over rocking?
Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

popcorn removal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
He's what we do when old ceiling texture want co-operate.

2" screws and 3/8" Sheetrock,....go over all of it, tape and sand = new ceilings!
Rather than take the old sheetrock down, and "re-(sheet)rock", put new rock over the old
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #9

popcorn removal

Quote:
As Slick shift mentioned:

Yes, install new 3/8" Sheetrock right over the old ceiling....Much less labor intensive, especially based on the fact that the popcorn is not coming off....

Find your strapping (unless it is lathing under the old ceiling)....mark the strapping on the walls. Use long drywall screws, about 2" might do it.
Tape, coat, sand, paint....."ta...da".... = New ceiling....

We do it all the time in older homes with bad ceilings, in fact, we have done entire houses with old horse hair plaster this way...walls too
....Doing one next week, as a matter of fact.
Comes out great...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #10

popcorn removal

Funny thing is My popcorn ceiling had no problem being removed when I decided to paint it with a thick paint roller filled with paint, it was rolling right off onto the roller (after a second pass with the roller, while wet) , exactly what I didn't want.. Maybe you should do the same. hee hee..obviously I was extremely careful with the painting technique after that. I think the trick is to dampen the ceiling quite a bit, use a thick roller (keep rolling it over and over) make sure its very wet and use a wide scraper thereafter, working in small sections, being careful not to nick the ceiling.(funy thing is when I tried to repair the area with what i had on hand, (joint compound), it was also was able to seep through and make the popcorn more pliable, so it was also making it easiy to remove while wet,..
But I do agree., New sheetrock would be easier,(I hate popcorn ceilings), best way to paint it is with a sprayer, (using a very good mask and lots of protective plastic covering everything) and that is no party either. Hmmmmm, I wonder if a wet sanding (sponge) block would help? Good luck, I don't envy you, But I do feel for you...
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #11

popcorn removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
Funny thing is My popcorn ceiling had no problem being removed when I decided to paint it with a thick paint roller filled with paint, it was rolling right off onto the roller (after a second pass with the roller, while wet) , exactly what I didn't want.. Maybe you should do the same. hee hee..obviously I was extremely careful with the painting technique after that. I think the trick is to dampen the ceiling quite a bit, use a thick roller (keep rolling it over and over) make sure its very wet and use a wide scraper thereafter, working in small sections, being careful not to nick the ceiling.(funy thing is when I tried to repair the area with what i had on hand, (joint compound), it was also was able to seep through and make the popcorn more pliable, so it was also making it easiy to remove while wet,..
But I do agree., New sheetrock would be easier,(I hate popcorn ceilings), best way to paint it is with a sprayer, (using a very good mask and lots of protective plastic covering everything) and that is no party either. Hmmmmm, I wonder if a wet sanding (sponge) block would help? Good luck, I don't envy you, But I do feel for you...

Be careful about putting 'too much moisture' onto a ceiling and then trying to scrape the popcorn.

You will end up taking some of the thin paper face off the actual sheetrock. Then you will have areas of exposed brittle gypum with no paper to hold it up ....
Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #12

popcorn removal

Atlantics over rocking, means
Atlantic WBConst. ( the Post reply person)
and over rocking, means to sheetrock right over the old sheetrocked,
'popcorn ceiling' ( which in turn may provide additional insulation) however this may be a problem if you have ceiling fixtures and
you are not electrically inclined, because you may have to lower the fixture or ceiling fan if you have one. I would make sure all wiring is up to par in the ceiling as well prior to rerocking you don't want to have to rip down 2 layers of sheetrock to get to the elect wiring ( unless of course you have an attic crawl space that provides access.
However, this would be a good time to add or change the ceiling fixtures if you plan to re rock. Trust me I know, I have exactly that problem right now, an electical problem in my ceiling, with no access, and now have to rip down two ceilings for access, ugh, Not looking forward to it either.
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #13

popcorn removal

i am doing a renovation in my house, one wall that is left going up the stairs is textured, looks like popcorn, but i guess its been painted so many times its like concrete. i cant rock over it as the stair stringer is on that wall and if i go with 3/8 rock it will be about flush with the stringer and look wierd. i am tired of ripping down plaster in this house as most of the walls have bircks in between the studs. that gets old and sure does develop a ton of waste. my decision is to skim coat the entire wall. i think i will be able to make it better than it is so that will make my wife happy.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 PM   #14

popcorn removal

Quote:
thats what happens when you use the wrong product for the job.Flat oil over unpainted popcorn stucco
torpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:19 PM   #15

popcorn removal

Quote:
Atlantics over rocking, means
Atlantic WBConst. ( the Post reply person)
and over rocking, means to sheetrock right over the old sheetrocked,
'popcorn ceiling' ( which in turn may provide additional insulation) however this may be a problem if you have ceiling fixtures and
you are not electrically inclined, because you may have to lower the fixture or ceiling fan if you have one. I would make sure all wiring is up to par in the ceiling as well prior to rerocking you don't want to have to rip down 2 layers of sheetrock to get to the elect wiring ( unless of course you have an attic crawl space that provides access.
However, this would be a good time to add or change the ceiling fixtures if you plan to re rock. Trust me I know, I have exactly that problem right now, an electical problem in my ceiling, with no access, and now have to rip down two ceilings for access, ugh, Not looking forward to it either.

When you install an extra layer of S/R ...just use longer screws or 'spacers' to attach the lighting cover plates. Just did an entire kitchen over last week this way (Horse hair plaster - rental apt.) I will post pics when I get over and take some...came out great...